Someone demanding 10% for naming a website ?

Okay, so a good friend of mine named my husband's website and he is now demanding 10% of whatever is made, permanently, for naming it. The name was the ONLY involvement... how should we handle this?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If that was true, just change the name.  Honestly, he did more than name it. Ask your husband.  If that was true, just change the name.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tell him to piss off.

• 2 months ago

Did your husband agree to pay him 10% of "whatever is made" if his friend came up with a name that your husband used?  And "whatever is made" is far too vague to mean anything in court.  It would have to have an end period of time.  It is unreasonable to expect that the 10% could go on forever.  If he agreed to something, he should pay it.  If there was no agreement, he should thank his friend for coming up with a great name but a name does not relate to payment and profits.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • John
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Well didn't you have to pay for everything else?

Why be cheap with your friend? Cut a deal you hit it big in profits you'll pay him big. Otherwise just take the name down. And quit calling him a 'friend' , pirate. If your using an ISP you'll find the name isn't yours anyway

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

What a bunch of malarkey.  A friend can certainly donate his time and energy without any anticipation of being compensated.  "Pay him back" by remaining his friend.  Not sure what any ISP has to do with this, since they don't have anything to do with your name either.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Did you agree to a profit sharing arrangement as payment? Even if you agreed verbally, you should honor that agreement. If you didn't, if the topic was never raised, then just ignore him. He can't get money out of you for anything unless he can prove it was promised to him to begin with. 

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

This is true. You might, however, repay the "gift" when you find an appropriate instance in the future to "return the favor", assuming the "friend" adjusts his attitude.

• 2 months ago

Enforce the agreement in place at the time he did whatever he did.

• 2 months ago

Ignore it.  If he continues on with his demands tell him no.  If he does not stop remove him from your "best friends" list and move on with your life.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Offer in compromise: "You did me a favor, so I'll put your name in the credits, so people can see what a good idea you had."

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Just say no. That's ridiculous.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

say "no, but I'd be willing to return the favor...."

• 2 months ago

Have him show you the contract/agreement where you agreed to pay him 10%.

Otherwise, have him show you the partnership agreement that gave him 10% ownership of the enterprise.

I am guessing that neither of those things exist.

He may threaten to sue.  Let him.  It is an empty threat.

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Yes, although not all contracts are written down. "If you help me come up with a name, I'll reward you", also isn't a contract. "I'll cut you in on my profits if I select your proposed name", still too vague to be a contract. 

• 2 months ago

No contract = no payment.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.