Looking for a specific laptop GPS?

Been searching online for a bit, didn't come up with too convincing.

I was wondering if there was a GPS device that can be installed in a laptop, so I would need it to be small. I want to locate it remotely, preferably through my phone via an app or similar. If there is a way for it to be charged from the battery, all the more better. I'm a little new to laptops, but I built my own pc, so I don't mind installations. I don't have a specific laptop picked out yet, but I wanted a very nice one, and to protect it well. I don't mind subscription charges. If it operates via SIM card, that might be a little interesting, as I don't know if my laptop will support that, but I'm willing to look into it.

But didn't come up with anything too convincing*

A lot of high-end laptops have provision for a 3G or 4G data module, that provides mobile internet.

Many of of those modules also include GPS.

Some high end ones also include "Lojack for Laptops" in the BIOS, which needs enabling via a subscription - but then is virtually identical to the "Find my iphone" service; I think that may be where Apple got the idea from..

Machines with the BIOS version are proof against the OS being reinstalled or even the drive replaced - it's still there and working..

(However, all the stuff only works while they are powered on.)

I use Panasonic Toughbooks; they have both capabilities.

A completely independent GPS locator is possible, but they are not all that small; around the size of a matchbox.

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-GPS-Tracker-Car-Tr...

It may be possible to dismantle one and re-arrange the components without the casing, inside a plastic-bodied laptop - but not a metal cased one.

Your question leaves a lot of uncertainties--

By "laptop" do you mean any that you might buy?  Or only the one that you own now and want to keep but need to add GPS for security tracking?  Or GPS for some other reason?

The biggest problem for most any laptop is one of physical space.  The smallest GPS unit I could find on line was 30.5 x 14.3 x 4.5 mm and had a micro USB connection to a phone or a laptop.  Where to put that and still have the laptop function normally?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-tra... tells how to find one if it connects to the Internet.

Source(s): My laptops have a WWAN (wireless wide area network or Internet and phone calls off cell towers) antenna that can flip up and have wider area reception, as well as a SIM card slot under the battery. I am sure I could install a "phone home" utility to trace it if I felt I needed to find it. That HP Elitebook 2740p convertible tablet/laptop with 12 inch touchscreen and pointer, non-skid back, sturdy frame, comfy waterproof keyboard and its light, a camera, a fingerprint scanner, lots of ports including to a docking station for DVD-RW and more ports, and an external battery slab. But it is a 2011 model. I find them on Ebay for less than $200 refurbished and Win10 update. I buy only the very good condition complete ones (no need to add a hard to fit SSD or unique hard disk). Benefits is you get a flexible unit for a fraction of the new price 9 years ago. The downside is that it is old, might give up any time. I bought spares.