Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

How to react in this situation?

There is this guy whom I have met recently through a friend. He asks me some 5000 inr (65 usd) which he said he would return me the very next month.

I lend it to him without a second thought coz I was stupid enough thinking he is a nice guy but he wasn't he was not keeping his promise which made me angry as he was making me fool. The other day I asked him and his friends whether they are coming to the restaurant never did I say I would pay the bill but for some reason I refused to pay I pretend I don't have money. they came we ate the bill for a dinner but I didn't have intentions to pay the restaurant bill the bill came I just pretend I don't have enough money later I knew they didn't have enough money and they collected each other and pay it. We didn't have a word about this until we left. And the next day I reminded this guy of his loan and suddenly he was screaming shouting etc saying I am a stingy guy look what he did yesterday in the restaurant I called them for dinner and I left without contribution or paying the bill he even said he wanted to kick my *** for this reason. How would you react in such situation if you were me? I was kinda humiliated and felt bad. Would you scream back at him or just walk away realising you were wrong? Was I really wrong here or the guy who's not paying back his loan? Please clear my head!

• Bill

First thing first, never give anyone money without it being in writing. Your first mistake here was to trust him, but when it comes to money the rule is to trust no one and to always cover your backside. Your second mistake was not getting anything as collateral. It's a loan, so giving him something to think about and motivation to pay you back. If he doesn't take the hint, well, you have the collateral which is worth the value of the loan to make back your money. 

As things stand however the right course of action is to take him to small claims court. It won't much matter if you win however as the court will do nothing to help you collect your money and guys like the one you're dealing with won't pay you regardless. 

As for what I would do in your situation, well, I would never find myself in your situation, but if I did for some reason I would likely beat the sh*it out of him and tell him straight up that he will pay me back in full with interest or I will come back and break his kneecaps. Not really the legal way to handle it, but then I have little tolerance for a*ssholes that feel they can rip me off.