Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 2 months ago

What other ways can photographers make money?

Im aware that I can sell photos online to stock websites, I can do wedding photography, and I can sell printed versions of my photos. But is there anything else I can do as a photographer to make money? 

A local photographer offers family shoots where people go to a local outdoor spot and wander around for an hour while he takes a mixture of posed and candid shots.  The package (£50 ish) includes a few digital images and you can buy more.  I had low expectations but it produced very good results!

But here's the thing - the photographer's good at spotting candid shots, he's good at posing shots, he knows the locations he's using and he's good at putting his subjects at their ease.  You need to play to your strengths and you need to start by understanding what they are!

If you do stock and wedding photography and scale it there is no need to look for another way. You can literally make 1000's of dollars doing just that.

You can take pics of people in compromising situations and blackmail them. Your up against zillions of smartphones, though.

Offer to shoot family portraits and school class photos.  Offer to attend proms and be the "official photographer".

You can have your photos printed on mugs and sell them

My Dad used to door knock and ask if people wanted family pictures and he had a nice background to do it with, this was in 1992 but I think you could still do it and it could be easier done now because you can advertise on the internet instead of door to door sales.