K asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

Damp proof membrane above concrete?

Recently moved into a house with a garage

Planning on using garage as like a bar

Plan on putting rubber tiles on the floor however should I lay a damp proof membrane under it?

Not sure if there is one below the concrete

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

if the floor does not have a dampness problem now it will be

OK .

Rubber tiles will not be

effected

by any water even if there is

any .

Or you can paint the floor before laying tiles with a

water proof

membrne

paint 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

it very unusual to find a garage with a concrete floor that suitably smooth and level enough to take tiles ..rubber?  ..majority of garages in uk do not have a membrane 

• 2 months ago

Rubber tiles should be enough, so long as they are thick.  I put down some vinyl tiles (floating floor type) and the moisture which the cement attracts caused the tiles to bow at the corners. So, if you are unsure, put down a moisture barrier that will take the abuse of being under a rubber mat.  

As for needing permission to change the garage, unless you are changing the floorplan, such as adding walls, or taking out the door, you do not need any 'permission' or permits. Just to be sure, call your local codes office and inquire. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You must have planning permission to change a garages persona 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

One thing you can do is take a piece of plastic about the size of a trash bag and tape it to the floor. Put tape all around the edges so it is completely sealed leave it for 24 to 48 hours and see if any moisture accumulates under the plastic. 

This is what several laminate flooring manufacturers recommend.

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I might apply a sealer like ToughCrete Concrete Sealer but I don't know how it's been treated or what condition it is in.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.