Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

if I get a D in college is it still passing like a D in high school is still passing?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

D should never be a passing score.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Really depends on the class. Within my major C is passing D really brings a GPA down so 

if feeling like that's what you'll get, DROP the course, get an I (incomplete) and take it again.

Just another reason why it's important to keep track of your progress throughout a semester.

• 2 months ago

It depends on the rules of your University and/or program. In my most recent grad program I actually had to get a minimum of a B- for it to count towards my required credits for graduation. 

• Orla
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Why did you get a D...?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

At my college in the early 70s, a D was passing.  While one would get credit for that particular course, it did not count as far as completing a prerequisite was concerned.  Additionally, since a 2.0 minimum GPA was needed to graduate, one would have to get at least one B for every course with a D.

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

At most universities a D is failing, at some universities a C- is failing.   That means you do not get credit for the class and your cumulative gpa drops. 

I have never heard of a university accepting a D. Every university has their own policies. Some some could very well could accept a D.    

You can find that Information  out before you apply to any college or university 

• A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It might be passing depending on the policy.

Most colleges have a minimum GPA you have to maintain in core classes,  often it is  2.0 to  2.50  .A D is a 1.0.  so if it brings down your average to below the minimum GPA you could be put on probation or suspended.

• 2 months ago

depends on the college and department. some, yes,; others, no

• 2 months ago

Typically, you will need to pass with a C- or higher in order to get credit for a class that is a major requirement or part of the core curriculum (i.e. general education requirement). But a D is passing for an elective class.

YMMV, however, since different universities have different policies.

• Bob
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I guarantee you're getting the D in college.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.