My family rejected me for being gay and now they ask me for money?

I am 27 years old, hispanic male originally from Mexico. I am currently an MD, doing my residency in pediatrics in NYC.

My family is very religious and where I come from, people are not very tolerant towards LGBT community as in NYC so hence, they rejected me and the consequence is that I suffer from anxiety and depression currently taking antidepressants and therapy. My family lost their job due to the COVID current outbreak and they asked me yesterday if I could give them some money. I live a comfortable live, lonely life for sure, but comfortable and financially speaking my economic status is quite good however. I cannot forget I was rejected by them. I remember once they left me alone in a hotel room and my sister and them went to a social event and I was not "invited". However, I know they are my only parents and without them I wouldn t be in this world.

What would you do in my case?

If I were you I would tell them something along the lines of “too bad that’s what you get for not accepting me.” not in that mean way but basically I would tell them how they deeply hurt me but say I am independent and have my own life. I understand that they are your only parents, but you are an adult, away from home, making your own money and you made a better life and career for yourself. If they treated you like that, you shouldn’t feel obligated to help them. This sounds like karma to me. 

• Sky

If I was in that position, what I would do is talk to them and remind them how deeply they hurt me when they rejected me for my sexuality (if I was gay, for this hypothetical), and now they come to me with their hands out for money?  They rejected me, made me to feel like worthless sh!t, caused me severe depression and requiring me to get therapy and go on antidepressants, and now they want me to ignore all that and help them out after they couldn't help me in the least when I needed them the most.

I'd see how they respond to that.  If they expressed remorse, said they were wrong, asked forgiveness, and showed genuine acceptance, then I would probably forgive them and help them financially.  If they continued to preach and condemn me for being who I am by the very nature of my existence and continued to use their religious bullshit to justify their hateful attitudes while also saying that (the religion) is reason I should help them out, I'd pretty much tell them to fück off.  So if your anonymously posted story is true, that's the advice I'm giving on how to handle the situation.

Its not for me to tell you what to do.

Yes they did bring you into the world. They did this with out your consent, my money says you are here today as a result of their pleasure.

They have beliefs and practices that they wanted to force onto you and when they learned that you will not jump with they say jump they rejected you.

Now this rejection was not because you killed or raped someone or you punched your mum in the face and neither were you could playing hide the sausage with the little boy next door. They rejected you because they have been told that some book called the Bible represents Gods wishes and in it, it says being gay is a sin.

There my friend is your first problem.

You like them have just accepted that with out doing your own research.

Leviticus 18

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination."

Now here is what no one told you or them. A man who collects Bibles was looking at an old bible and he discovered that the above verse did not always say that. The older Bibles it said. "You shall not lie with a boy as with a woman; it is an abomination." Leviticus 20 was also altered.

You see the changed word. (man - boy) It was originally an anti pedophile verse. When we restore it to its correct text that in fact makes the entire Bible more creditable as today's modern Bibles not only seem to support pedophilia but priest when caught with the alter boys often they used the bible to say it only says with men its a sin.

So back to your family. I would so love to say tell them to go jump, but the reality is, despite all the pros and cons, they are family. I think you should do what you know is right and do so knowing right now they still wont get it, but over time you can reeducate them.

Maybe the first lesson is, be thankful for what we have rather than complain because things are not as we want.

Give them all of your money!

You can see your family as victims of a homophobic culture as much as you have been. Then you can take the high road and do what you can for them. And remember that a successful life is itself the sweetest revenge.

Lmao puh leez why would a doctor be on a troll site. 

• If it was me I wouldn't give them any money I'd let them suffer.

You give them what you can. Make a few sacrifices. 

It's up to you....

• Sam

LOL..  

I'm sorry but that's funny.  

It's time for you to grow up.  

If you have the extra money.. help them out,  maybe they'll feel bad about being so judgmental, but don't hold your breath.  

You're angry because they wouldn't accept you.  I'll tell you what, you accept them for how they feel, then I'll respect you.  But having M.D. after your name, gets nothing from me.

Unless you want to write me an Rx  ;) 

Source(s): If they raised you how you think they should have, you might not have accomplished what you have. I'd say they did something right. It's all perception. Now go say ten Hail Mary's for what you thought about me ;) P.S. Lay off the anti-depressants. Get yourself some Phenibut, no Rx required. As long as you are not obsessive and can do something in moderation.
    • Sam

How did you know  ;)   But  just check the 'generic okay' box.  
      it can be hydromorphone 4mg  
      1 PO  q4h prn headache caused by answering Y!A questions  ;)     ...(I'm kidding.. I'm on a natural high, I don't need chemicals)