m asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 4 months ago

Laundry Detergent?

I have a lot of stained clothes with stains who knows how old and who knows what they are. Does anyone have any good laundry detergent for getting stains like that out?

Don't know if a product called Lestoil is still on the market but it works wonders at oily stains, like industrial grease or food stains. Pretreatment is the only real way to get really bad stains, best done before it dries and sets into the fabric. Dawn is also a good pretreatment.   Good luck.

Yes fire works wonders on tough stains.

It really depends on how old the stains are, and what caused them to begin with. Some stains are going to be permanent. They just are. Laundry detergent doesn't get some of them out no matter what kind you buy. You have to treat a stain right after it happens, or you risk never being able to get it out. And different things remove different stains. (for example--you can remove baby formula stains with rubbing alcohol.) Other than that, no--there isn't a single detergent that is good enough to get everything out. 

Laundry detergent alone often doesn't remove stains. Your best bet is to pre-treat with a stain removal product.

The best stain remover I use is blue Dawn dishwashing liquid--the concentrated kind.

Old, set-in stains that have been through several wash and dry cycles are notoriously difficult to remove. The best thing to try is to soak them in a very warm or hot Oxyclean solution for a couple of hours (whatever temperature the clothes can stand), and then scrub the stains by hand with a little detergent on a stiff brush, like a nail brush. If that doesn't remove most of the stain, then you're out of luck.

• A

take the time to pretreat the stains with Shout, or Oxyclean.    Use any good brand name detergent, I like Persil, but Tide is also good

• GF

The product named "Shout" used to work well. I don't know if it is still available.

My friend is really good at laundry. She says that she puts detergent onto the stain before washing it 

Ever see those OxyClean commercials?