Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

My 12 year old daughter said she hates me?

:( 

I'm the father of a 12 year old girl who said she hates me after I couldn't afford the newest iphone. It was her birthday 2 days ago and I bought her an Iphone 6 plus. It was the best I could do, as I am not currently employed and are struggling to even pay the bills.

How could she say that to me ?:( 

She even said that it was ok if she didn't get it a few days before her birthday(I had already explained I didn't have the money for it) but now she is ignoring me and making rude comments whenever she walks past my room.

Please no rude comments 

Just advice on what I should do

I got her the phone because it wasn't too expensive(Someone on facebook marketplace sold me it for 50 dollars) and she doesn't have a phone right now and I know it can be boring when quarantined and not able to have acess to internet. I am letting her keep it because it's her birthday present. But I just feel bad I couldn't get her the thing she wanted and now I feel like a bad dad.

EDIT:  You are not a bad dad.   Don't take what she said to heart.  Children can  go through very ugly stages.  Tell her to cut the crap and no more rude comments.    This sounds like a kid who didn't get spanked when she needed it when she was 4 years old.  Tell her if she  apologizes and starts behaving, she can  keep the phone. 

12 year old girls have expect to get the world .  Parents need to learn to say no to their kids and earn their respect by being able to do that.

Wow. I cant believe these kids are acting this way nowadays. Its deplorable.

Lock eyes with her and tell her that money runs the world and that you cant afford one. Bring her around the homeless shelters and show her how the less fortunate live. That behavior is uncalled for.

Prepare your child for life’s realities. Indulging a child’s every wish can cause him to feel entitled. So, for example, if your child wants something you cannot afford, explain why it is necessary to live within a budget. You can explain that disappointments are part of life and perhaps discuss how you deal with such disappointments. Rather than shield your children from every hardship, prepare them for the challenges they will face as adults.

Encourage giving. Prove to your child that “there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.” (Acts 20:35) Together you might prepare a list of people in need of help with shopping, transportation, or repair work. Then take your child along as you assist some of them. Allow your child to see your joy and satisfaction as you care for the needs of others. That way you will teach your child humility in the most powerful way—by example.

Source(s): jw.org/en/library/magazines/awake-no6-2017-december/teaching-children-humility/
    • Lynnmarie

I agree with this answer  although I do not support JW churches  because of some false doctrine, especially their denying the deity of Jesus Christ. 

I can afford the newest Iphone.

I think it's Iphone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Price: $1,729

Currently I have a cell phone, and it's not an IPhone. I think you should have done some window shopping before buying her a phone. Even though I have enough money to buy the latest IPhone model I have not bought it, and I have my reasons, for not buying it.

I had an IPhone 4S, and I regret getting that phone. I have a different brand of phone now, and I am happy with it. The cell phone that I bought cost me maybe around $100, and it's a lot better than an IPhone 4S.

Anyway I prefer computers over cell phones. I barely use my cell phone, but I use my computer a lot.

Kids say this stuff sometimes, because honestly? they have no idea about the value of a dollar and many have some wild idea that parents have all sorts of money.

Well, we don't

If my daughter bitchedAnd moaned about an iPhone 6 plus that i struggled to get for her? I'd simply take it from her, and she wouldn't have a FuckingPhone at all. And that would be that!

I don't put up with crap. Why do you?

• Mandy

If you are struggling, why did you even buy her and iPhone 6 and why are you letting her keep the phone?  

Blow it off, people say stupid things. You might want to let her know you didn't have to do a damned thing. Just don't believe it :)

Ungrateful *****. Tell her she'll have to eat peanut butter crackers for a month if she wants one.