Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 month ago

Engineering or finance economics, which one offers more potential job opportunities?

• kswck2

Engineering degrees come with far less panic attacks and heartburn. 

• Oiy

The house that jack built is not there anymore. We need more Jack. And to do that Jack needs Joe and Jean to get loans from the banks.

Both are good.

My neighbor is a civil engineer PE and has never had a problem making 150k a year. He has gone from job to job because once he finishes one project, he has to move on to another, so there’s that.

My wife, finance major with an MBA, Executive VP for a Fortune 500 firm, had some years where she earned over 300k a year (mainly from bonuses, stock options) however she had some volatile years when companies were being bought and sold or taken over.  

Both my wife and my neighbor are working for themselves now in private consulting. My neighbor is always busy with consulting on various municipal projects as a civil engineer.  My wife’s consulting is more towards larger private firms and not as steady, though last year she earned over 250K gross (before taxes).  This year she’s not going to earn half that because of the economy.  

It’s what you think would be more to your liking.  If you like the idea of building things then engineering would be the way to go.  If you like the business environment then Finance.  If you do go finance, get a Masters at the very least if you want to get an executive position.