My hours just got cut by 80% ?

I work at a dog kennel and my employer has not cut anyone's hours except me (and I have not done anything to cause this). He just cut my hours back to one day per week. If I leave, will I be able to get unemployment? He won't fire me but I can't pay my bills making 50 dollars a week. There's just no way. Do I have any options to quit and get unemployment? 

I'm not sure if all states are the same, but in GA you can apply for PUA (pandemic unemployment assistance) and you can qualify for it much easier and it's for people with part-time jobs, etc, and in your case, reduced hours. 

No You can quit or you can get unemployment, but not both. You must choose one or the other. If you stay and do not quit or leave, then you can get a partial unemployment benefit, which might be close to as much as the full benefit. (The formula varies from state to state; for example, it could be 75% because you're working just one day a week or $25 less than the normal benefit because you're making $50 per week.) However, if you choose to quit or leave so that you can get unemployment, then you cannot get unemployment.

• Judy

No, if you quit you won't get UC, but with that much of a cut you might be eligible for partial unemployment. Apply and find out.

An employer is never obligated to choose one employee over another for reducing hours.  He can choose who he wants.  You have the option to quit but if you do, you will not be eligible for unemployment benefits.  You might be eligible for a partial payment due to your reduced hours.  When you lose hours, your best option is to find another job.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • ron h

I doubt that the best dog walker there is can do surgery on dogs. And 16 year olds can't check out liquor at the grocery store.   So yeah, sometimes one person suffers more.

You cannot quit and collect unemployment.

However, you may be able to collect partial unemployment based on the reduced hours. 

Requirements vary by state and in my state since your hours were reduced you would be eligible for a partial unemployment benefit.

You should apply for partial unemployment.

You work for a dog kennel.  They don't have as many dogs visiting so they need to reduce hours.

Rules can differ by state, so check where you live.  Generally speaking though, having your hours cut that drastically should make you eligible to collect unemployment.  You likely don't even have to quit your current job to qualify.  

• Beverly S

In fact she/he likely needs to continue to work that one day a week, or it sould be considered quitting and no u/e available then.

You can try applying for unemployment as a furloughed worker and you’ll get paid for the 80%. 

If you quit, you don’t qualify for unemployment because you chose to quit.