Anonymous

The college cheating scandal makes me wonder if they would be able to cheat/bribe their whole way through school? Do you think this was?

Happening? I mean the ones who basically bought their admission. Could they buy themselves a degree too? Or would professors typically just push these people through even if they weren’t passing?

• John

I agree with fcas80's answer, at least in regards to the kind of student seen in the current scandal.  The Varsity Blues scandal was facilitated by just a few corrupt college officials, mostly in the athletic departments.  To cheat all the way through to a degree would require a much larger number of participants, which greatly increases the chance the scheme would be either discovered or reported.   

Of course, there have been many scandals over the years involving student athletes being allowed to cheat academically.  In many of those cases, professors were pressured to improperly pass athletes.  Even the University of North Carolina was discovered to have an institution-wide cheating program established specifically for athletes.  

• cool

Some of the answers here are incredibly naive. 

Do you really think that a student who has to bribe their way into college is likely to major in Electrical Engineering?

They aren't going to pick a tough subject, they will pick something middle of the road, like communications or business studies. 

They didn't bribe their way in out of academic fervour and passion, they simply recognise the cynicism inherent in higher education, and the need for prestige at all costs.

Usually if they are accepted they drop out long before the get anywhere near to graduating

I am not saying it never happens. Trump's father did not buy his B.A in economics from Wharton Business school. He transferred to Wharton. He went to real estate classes

He earned that B.A. degree.

Same with Bush 43. He admitted he got.A "C" in American history. Bush 43 earned his bachelor's degree from Yale. Bush 41 did not buy buy buy buy Bush 43's degree.

Much of that cheating scandal didn't involve the actual colleges. It was outsiders who took money to enhance the applications of the students.  And yes- however students get in, they have to be able to pass the classes on their own to stay in. I know of the son of a very rich business owner who got into an elite school. The kid was also a football player. The school overlooked the first couple of stupid things he did, but finally booted him out, in his freshman year. Even athletic prowess and daddy's money can't get you by if you can't do the work. 

In the real world if you can't, or don't produce something, for whatever reason after finishing school then school was a waste of time, and nobody is going to want to pay someone who does not produce ANYTHING after finishing school.

I am able to produce something, and I can show people what I can do. I have a college education, and I am self taught too.

I don't only show what I learned at school to other people. I also show what I never learned at school too.

Currently I am testing my project that I made, and published online, so everyone can see it. I just want to make sure I am satisfied with what I did, and I want to make sure what I made works.

The professors wouldn't know who bribed their way into college. I'm sure there are students who paid other students to write papers for them or used papers that had been offered online. A professor would also be suspicious of a student who could barely write on a written midterm exam who later turns in a well-written, thoroughly researched paper. 

• y

Of course they were, this is nothing new, just now out in the open, or at least part of the corruption in the way these universities operate.

• fcas80

Unlikley they could bribe each and every professor.

• darkvelvetrain

I lament that I have never been bribed in all my years of teaching.