Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Stay home alone or with aging parents?

What would you do if you were me:

1. Stay home, or

2. Stay with aging parents?

I am a single, middle-aged guy.  I live in a city on lockdown due to Covid-19.  It’s fine; I just bought a new home that I love, and I work ALL THE TIME in a white collar professional services job (including nights and weekend).  I don’t ever know my schedule in advance (it depends on the client’s needs) and I need a large computer monitor and a business printer.  And I need peace and quiet.  So in this situation, I’ve been working a lot and it’s been ideal for work.

My parents live 600 miles away.  They’re starting to have health issues.  I’ve spent alternate weeks with with for the last month and just spent a few days with them.  If I said “I want to move in with you” they would say yes and they would probably ask me to if they knew I would.

However, at their house I can’t get work done, due to a blaring TV, interruptions and no desk or office set-up.  

So I prefer to stay on my own home.  

But would you make more of an effort to spend time with them and go down there, perhaps on weekends?  Or would you alternate weeks,

It seems weird for me to stay in my own home all alone.  But I can’t get work done at my parents’ house.

• Jerry

Can't you and your parents continue to have separate homes but not so far away from each other? Living near aging parents makes more sense than travelling back and forth and being away from home when they need you. Maybe the lot of you can get a duplex, get a home with a guest house, something like that? 

maybe you can live in the same city and just get your own place

your single im laughing so hard