Jenny asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 months ago

Why is there outrage when women show a nipple?

I would consider myself far from a feminist. I'm actually quite prudish. But I think it's weird that both men and women have nipples, but men are only allowed to expose them. Women have cleavage and men don't, but women can show cleavage. People even freak out if a little girl takes her shirt off while swimming. A six year old isn't even developing yet. Was there ever a time when boys weren't allowed to take off their shirts? Again, I'm not asking because I want to start some sort of argument about the injustices that females face. I'm actually curious. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • david
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

i enjoy it when women's nipples are visible, we all have them, no big deal

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Arbitrary edicts that linger from our Puritanical origins.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Well there are two sides. Women make a fuss if (the wrong) men look. Or look in a way they declare is wrong.

If you demand the right to control who sees your body... but I have a pre-existing right to be in public and to behave reasonably but without you dictating my behaviour...

Then please keep your shirt on, dress modestly, so I don't see your 'inappropriate to gaze upon parts' and you can take them out in place where you have the contextual privacy you demand for your permitted audience.

If you have no problem with people seeing your breasts/face/hands/ankles then you may show them, but may not demand that they not be seen.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

As a man, I agree to have women wearing NOTHING! 

Only feminists are outraged when women show nipples, since feminists are ugly lesbians/ man haters.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Alesha
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

If men didn’t go ballistic when they see a bare breast it would be far less  of an issue. On some Pacific islands the local governments have  banned western style clothing. So women going topless is a daily occurrence. The guys for their part couldn’t care less about boobs, they’re just body parts.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Because it's the law, and don't nobody wanna see yo crusty *** areolas. Now cover up, Trick.

• 4 months ago

This could only happen in the US where they are so puritanical about the body, but show more violence on television than any other country. Move to Europe where they are more sensible. 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Check out men’s bathing suits from the 1920s. They covered their nipples. The tops were basically tank tops or some were like t-shirts.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.