Historical Education?

Okay so why is it that in school you learn all these things from history but they dont put any of it in chronological order or explain the connections between different chapters? I feel like I have a bunch of fragments of history but no genuine understanding of how it all fits together

Try Will and Ariel Durant's Story of Civilization.

https://www.amazon.com/Story-Civilization-11-Set/d...

Well, the fact is that few primary and secondary schools hire, or even WANT Historians to teach History. To pass the "No Child Left Behind (unscathed)" standardized tests, students are required only to memorize a collection of dates, events, and facts. Also, Social Studies departments are often where a school district deposits its athletic coaches after the Phys. Ed. dept is filled.

• oldcraggyguy

I have since learned that NCLB has been replaced by something called Every student succeeds Act.  This law has NO Historical knowledge requirements at all.  Math and reading only.

Because a school can only allocate a certain amount of time to history, because they also need the STEM subjects and the arts.

If it's American history, the text book is in chronological order. World history text books have a choice to follow a civilization in chronology or bounce to different civilizations at a relative place in time. I'd say my answer is sterling considering how little I know about your environment.