J asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

Diy concrete mini ramp ?

I'm in the process of building a concerte mini ramp in my garden and I need to make the concrete floor. To get a smooth floor like how it is at skateparks can I just use a simple sand and cement mix? 

you'll have to 'float' the surface. ask the guys at your store how to do this

You need an aggregate otherwise it will have no strength - most skateboard ramps have rebar in them as well. You can add a sand cement screed but ramps are usually trowelled smooth for strength since the screed can break up at the edges.

• elhigh

I would recommend you build the ramp from plywood instead.

You may not skate forever, but when your skating is done, that concrete ramp will still be there, very heavy and difficult to dispose of.  And if you do skate forever, no problem - building a plywood ramp that will last for years isn't that hard.

Lots of people have done it, look this topic up online rather than ask about it here, there's many sets of instructions talking about why/how people built theirs the way they did, which will help you decide what you want.

As to your question, a sand mix can finish up very smooth indeed but remember you're going to need some steel in there to reinforce everything and keep it from cracking over time.  Also don't forget to seal it when you're done, or wet weather followed by freezing temperatures will crack it all to pieces in short order.

[edit]

There are all kinds of sealants designed specifically for sealing concrete after it's cured, and there are also additives you can include in the concrete mix to make it more moisture resistant.  That's too broad a range for me to go into here and besides, I think you're overseas from me?  You'd have to do your own research closer to home for that.

Good luck with it.

• J1 month agoReport

Thanks man could you tell me what to use to prevent the cracking from wet/cold weather