I have a paradox. This is a question for smart people.?

Pinocchio's nose grows when he lies, yes? So what happens when he says "My nose will now grow?" If it grew when he said that, then he would be telling the truth. But his nose grew when he said it, so that means that he was lying... help?

His nose only grows if he is lying, and there are no exceptions.

• The term 'will grow' means he is trying to predict the future that has not happened yet. So it's impossible to lie about the future that has not happened yet.

So if his nose then grew, he did not lie nor not lie. It only affirms or not affirm his prediction. 

I say "tomorrow will rain". If tomorrow comes and it doesn't rain, I did not lie. I was merely wrong in my prediction.

I just get on here for the entertainment, thanks for helping.

Pinocchio came with a set of instructions which state clearly that he's never to joke about his nose.

• RockIt

Its a variation on Liar's Paradox (google it).  It doesn't have a satisfactory solution. Thats why its called a paradox.  Two seemingly opposite conclusions that can't be reconciled logically because Pinocchio's nose both grows and it does not grow.

• Princess

Thumbs up. 

His nose only grew because he lied at first. Then he told the truth because he knew what would happen after he lied. Just because he told the truth doesn't make up for the lie he told before it. If telling the truth undid the lie his nose would not grow. Anyways i don't consider myself to be smart but i know one thing. All the good that we do now doesn't make up for the bad that we've done in the past. Without Jesus dying for our sins we would all perish.

• Fathom1 month agoReport

you seem pretty smart to me :) 
      good answer, too. i think you solved it
      i didn't think i would get any satisfactory answers on this at all.... currently i have two answers, and yours is awesome

No one ever said his nose ONLY grows when he's lying. It is possible to grow while telling the truth as well. 

• RockIt

Points for creativity.