Fleur asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Hoe do I include my life insurance in my will?

I want the remainder of my life insurance policy to be split among my siblings after my funeral is paid for. But how do I word this in my will. The beneficiary of my policy is same as with my other things. Thanks

Specify the beneficiaries as follows:

The funds from this policy are designated to pay funeral requests.

Any remaining funds are to be divided equally between the following persons:

1. sib 1

2. sib 2

---

• car253

Never list your "estate" as the beneficiary.    Name the beneficiary your siblings with equal shares.   Then let them know that you want them to share in the funeral expenses.   Or handle the funeral expenses through your estate.   But do NOT name your estate as beneficiary.   This way your siblings get immediate payment by the insurance company.   And, they do not have to wait for your estate to settle, which could take forever.    Especially now with the courts all backed up. 

• car253

Anonymous, That's true.   But it is still better to not list the estate as beneficiary.    And, let the estate pay for funeral costs in a separate will or just make it easy and pre-pay for funeral expenses before you die. 

Maybe you don't realize that we don't know how you listed your beneficiaries for your "other things."  You'd have to pay the insurance to your estate for your will to have anything to do with the money.  

A smarter, yet more expensive, way to get his done is to set up a trust and name trustees.  Naming beneficiaries directly is a big mistake as they have ZERO obligation to pay for your funeral.  It's a very common question here, "My brother got the life insurance money and won't help pay for my dad's funeral, can I sue him?"...Nope...'cause it's his money.  He can do as he pleases.

• car253

Anonymous, your correct but to save problems later on it is best to prepay on funeral expenses before you die so no one has to pay for them and there is no mess waiting for an estate to settle and no fighting among relatives.

If the beneficiary of your policy is alive, then that person gets all of it (not just the remainder after the funeral is paid), regardless of what your will says.

If you want to include it in your will, then you have to change the beneficiary of your life insurance policy from whomever it is now to "my estate".

You make your siblings the beneficiary of your policy. It has nothing to do with your will.

You missed the part where they want the funeral paid for.

Life insurance is paid to the beneficiaries listed on the policy, not your will. You either trust they will pay the funeral costs equally from their shares, or entrust one beneficiary to do so and leave the additional funds to them in the policy.

• car253

Not a bad idea to leave extra money to one person you trust to make the funeral arrangements.   But you have to let them know that is why they will receive more money than the other beneficiaires.

Life insurance bypasses your will.  By all means make your beneficiaries the same as those in your will but you will need to make everything clear as the insurance company will not have access to your will so name them, give percentages, per stirpes etc.  Also tell the beneficiaries what you have done.  Making the funeral home one of the beneficiaries is not a good plan as you do not know how much money will be needed.

Generally funeral expenses are managed by your executor who (presumably) is one of the beneficiaries of both your will and your insurance policy.  Why not speak to him or her about how he would like to handle this?  A separate 'funeral' savings account with both you and the executor named so that the contents pass directly to him is often the simplest and best.

• Eva

The beneficiary of the policy takes precedence over anything in your will. If your estate is the beneficiary, then you can make the request through your will.

• A Hunch

Money that is received from life insurance cannot be earmarked for a specific purpose. 

You need to provide "assignment" paperwork to the funeral home/mortuary/cemetery.  This will cover any expenses that are incurred as part of your funeral/burial.

The beneficiaries that are listed on the life insurance policy will receive any month that is available after that. 

• The problem is that it is hard to control the costs when you do it that way.

• Lili

You need to do this by making your siblings the beneficiaries of the policy along with whoever else is.  You can then state in your will that you expect your siblings to use part of the benefit to pay for your funeral, assuming there's no estate money available to pay for it. If there is, that money should be used.

A lawyer will tell you what to do. See one. Don't assume that a will you draw up yourself will be considered valid. Some states don't accept holographic wills.

• car253

Better to just prepay on funeral expenses. Then you don't have to worry about them. 
      Name your siblings as beneficiary and tell them you want each one of them to pitch in for your funeral expenses.