Suzie O asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

How common is this practice of employees wearing name tags with fake names?

Any time you deal with any customer service type people they will be wearing a name tag. Whether its at the supermarket checkout or the appliance store or the post office or the reception desk. The idea is supposed to create a more friendly atmosphere by connecting with the customer, if they are able to call the person by name supposedly it puts them more at ease. Somebody who works in one of these places told me they never use their real names, the employees were not comfortable with any random stranger knowing their name and potentially "stalking" them online or worse. So if the person on the checkout is wearing a name tag that says "Helen" that may not be her real name. But how common is this really, what kinds of businesses do you know of that use real or fake names?

i always wear a fake one. easier to hide from complaints

Honestly, i have never seen anything like that. I have never seen that any person who is employ of any company and has used a fake name tag.

• Edna

I know several people who work as cashiers in supermarkets and Wal-Mart. The name on their name tag is their real first name. Their last name isn't on the name tag. 

Names don't make characters.  Anyone can change their name.  Although, names make us accountable.  In some societies, dishonor follows entire families.  This is why some cultures make sure that all members of their family have strict adherence to local mores and norms.

This would come down to individual organization policy.  Some may believe fake names will protect their employees as well as create a connection with their customers, others may automatically use their employees' real names without a second thought.

ive never heard of that happening but im sure it can

Who knows but with the number of nut cases walking about it doesn't surprise me.

• Cathy

I worked as a server at a restaurant with 2 other Cathys and was asked to change my name to something else so I changed it to Kate and that  was on my name tag as well. Other than that I've always had my real name on any name tag I've had to wear at work, same with the other employees I worked with. I don't think it's a big deal as long as someone responds to what is on the tag.

• JJ

Employees of businesses have their real-life names on the badges that they wear, and usually omitting the employees' last name on the badges. 

I've never heard of such a thing; I would have thought that just leaving the surnames off would be safe enough.

But I suppose it's an extra layer of security in really dodgy areas.