Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

If I moved to the USA for work and wanted to bring my wife with me (we are both from the UK), how would a Visa for her work?

If I would move to the USA for a job I have been offered. Would my wife, from the UK, currently no job, be able to move with me? I see citizenship which can be acquired after 5 years may be needed.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Citizenship is a long way off from a green card, which is a long way off from a work visa. If you get a work visa, your employer needs to be told that you have dependents, and that your dependents need visas too. Your employer will get your wife an H4 visa, which would allow her to come with you as your dependent.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

If an employer gets you an H1-B visa in April of 2021, you can start working October 1, 2021, and your wife can get an H4 visa without problems (unless she has a serious criminal record). The same applies to your child or children.

Citizenship becomes an option after having been a Green Card holder for at least 5 years. The H1-B is valid for 3 years, then it can be extended another 3, provided your employer plays along. Thereafter you can get a Green Card, and all in it would be around 12 years until you can get in line for naturalization.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your wife would be your dependent and wouldn't be able to work in the US but could live here with you. The same five year rule for naturalization would apply to her. The thing is a work visa isn't permanent residency and you'd have to achieve that before either of you would even be on track toward naturalization. Time spent in the US on a work visa doesn't go toward that five years of PR you'd need to be able to become citizens. 

• 1 month ago

1. Your employer must apply for your temporary employment visa. Your employer can file for your spouse's dependent visa at the same time, but commonly, you have to apply for the dependent's visa after you obtain your employment visa. Your dependent spouse is strictly prohibited from working - she's your dependent. 

2. You do NOT obtain US citizenship! Employment visas are temporary, and you (& your dependents) are required to return to your country immediately upon termination of the job or by last day your visa is valid (if you continue working full-time until then). No grace period. Last day of full-time employment for the employer who obtained that visa for you is the last day your visa is valid. 

3. IF you are hired on H1-b visa, and IF you work for that employer for the maximum 6 yrs (two 3-year terms) but the employer wants to continue your employment, and IF your employer qualifies, your employer might be willing & able to sponsor you for a green card. It can take another 8-14 years before you actually get approved for & receive the green card. You must reside in US for 5 years from date your green card is issued before you might qualify to apply for naturalization. It can take up to about another year before you actually obtain US citizenship. Few employers are willing & able, qualified to sponsor an H1-b worker for legal permanent residency (green card). Plan to return to your own country immediately upon termination of employment, in no case later than date visa expires. Most H1-b & other temporary workers are exactly that - temporary & disposable, easy to terminate without any hassle or expense as needs change.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you are sponsored by a US company for a work visa, then you would have to apply for a dependant visa for your wife to move with you, as a dependant that means she doesn't work, she would be 'dependant' on you to financially support her and a work visa ( or dependant visa) doesn't normally lead to citizenship, the visa allows you to remain in the US for as long as the work contract

• 1 month ago

You cannot obtain US citizenship from being in the USA on a work visa.  Only H1B work visas can - after six continuous years in the USA - possibly lead to Permanent Resident status. If you become a US PR then you can apply for US citizenship five years later. 

• 1 month ago

Apply for a dependent visa.  If you get a B1, hers will be a B2 and be valid as long as yours is, but she will be unable to work. 

If you are on an H1B she will get an H-4 and can file a I-765 Application for Employment Authorization after you are established.

Neither of these are immigrant visas and don't count for the 5 years towards citizenship.  For that you need to apply for permanent residence, and that is rarely possible until you have worked here on a non-immigrant status for awhile.

• 1 month ago

If you have a work visa, she can have a dependent's visa. It's done all the time. Neither of you ever need to become citizens to stay and work in the country unless you want to. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.