megan asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Fish: Swordtails look like they're dieng or sick?!?

I have a tank with swordtails and guppies. Water tests are good ammonia levels are fine. The guppies had a lot of babies two - three sets and now all of a sudden I'm losing sword tail females. Both laying in bottom of tank for hours the orange one on her said waving her fin it's sad. Any advice of what could be happening or how to help them? 

• kswck2

There are so many things that can go wrong with swordtails, this is why I gave up on the long ago. Sometimes they just die. No idea why. 

It could be a lot of things. Check your water temps. 

If nitrates, nitrite and ammonia check out then check your water temps and Ph. Educate yourself on what care requirements the fish needs. Swordtails are livebearers and need a little bit of salt. 

Try some stress coat, melafix, and a little bit of aquarium salt with a 25% water change and see if the fish perks up. 

i would ask someone at a petstore about it

• megan2 months agoReport

If they make it over night I will be calling. Most pet stores by me though have very poor knowledge unfortunately 😞

• Brian

I had swordtails too, they are the ones in my tank to always seem to die first.  No one at the pet store was able to tell me why either.

• megan2 months agoReport

That's sad 😢 I love fish but there life span can be so short for numerous reasons and I get sad no matter what not being able to help I just try to prevent the worste and learn what I can everyday.