emily asked in PetsHorses · 4 months ago

do horses scream?

every night i hear occasional shrieking coming from the direction of my neighbor's property where he has three horses, so i just assumed that the horses were the ones making the noise because it definitely isn't coming from a human. can horses make shrieking noises? even if they are physically capable of doing so, would that behavior be typical for a horse? what reason do horses have to scream?

only when provoked, they scream. 

Technically, yes. Not like a human, but they can nicker, neigh, snort, and sqeal. This is the most scream-like sound a horse can make. Overall, yes, horses can scream. 

Source(s): Horse trainer and owner

A horse can make numerous vocal sounds when afraid, mad, looking for a foal, a mare in estrus, fighting and more. I would say it is a horse you are hearing.

Definitely.   Especially when there are mares in season with stallions around.

• Snezzy

Could be a non-horse animal.

Even though my wife tells me I should remain silent, I scream when a horse steps on my toes. (I now have very funny-looking toes.) She also says I should avoid getting stepped on. So maybe I am your neighbor and am the one who is screaming.

Yes, horses can make some crazy noises especially during spring when the ladies are in season and the guys can be protective of turf.  

That doesn't necessarily mean the noises you describe are coming from your neighbor's horses.   In my neck of the woods, spring is the typical time to hear bunnies being eaten by coyotes.   Bunnies can seriously scream.  

Cat fights can create a bunch of ruckus too.

Yes, horses can scream. Stallions which are challenging one another for control of a herd of mares will often scream at each other. A mare who is fighting to protect her foal from a predator such as bears or a mountain lion will often scream too- but in rage, not as a challenge. And all horses are capable of screaming if they've been mortally injured in some way, just as people can. I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago, when I watched a horse I knew commit the equivalent of human suicide by bolting through a barbed wire cattle fence at 50 miles per hour. I will say little of what happened, except to mention that he was cut wide open by the fence. He was destroyed a few hours later- there was nothing the vet could do for him except put him down. THAT horse screamed when the fence tore into his body. And he screamed again and again. He only stopped when he couldn't scream any more, because of shock and blood loss.

There's a difference between screaming and neighing, however. I think that you are confusing the two. Your neighbor's horses may actually be calling to each other, rather than screaming.

Just because horses are there it does not mean that the screams are coming from them.

It’s far more likely to be noise made by other animals, such as foxes (mostly in mating season), cats or owls (especially if Shriek Owls exist wherever you are on Earth).

All of those can sound very much like human screams. Horses *can* scream but it’s a very different sound simply because of their size which affects the resonance. They also usually only do so in response to severe pain or traumatic injury.