Is it true that when someone says, "I like my privacy", what they really mean is, 'I have something to hide'?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Nope, lots of people give out their last name, town, and date of birth online without realizing that makes it easy to find your identity and become a target for theft. Just because you don't want this to happen and don't want to be bothered with the stress of it doesn't mean you have something deep and dark to hide.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

no it isn't true

• 1 month ago

No.  It is saying what they have said,  they like their privacy. 

I would put it to someone like you that you also like your privacy but don't know it.

As an example,  if you put your computer in for repair with me and I said its a condition of using my service that I copy and retain all data including photos and videos on your computer,  would you be comfortable with that?

The honest answer is,  you like any right minded person would never agree to that.

You would not because once I have it I can share it.  

Only a fool would let everyone/anyone have free access to their data.   

• 1 month ago

No it just means I want my privacy. Some people enjoy walking around naked and doing strange tings in their own home without others seeing. It is their ritual. I'm sure you have things you'd like to do in private. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No. It means you do not have the right to know anything about me, unless I choose to tell you

• 1 month ago

No it's not true. Some people just like their privacy. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Nope, just means you’re a Troll.

• art
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

just because someone values their privacy doesnt mean they have something bad to hide

a couple of years ago I was stopped by a policeman as I matched the discription of someone they were hunting, while he was talking to me it came over his radio that the had caught the man they wanted, but the police officer still demanded my details, I refused as I had done nothing wrong and they had already got the other man.

the policeman said "why wont you give me your details - do you have something to hide ?"

"yes I have my privacy to hide, now if I am no longer being detained I will be off"

you see now

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No thats not Always the Situation you can still have Privacy without having something to Hide

• 1 month ago

Or it means that they do not want to have their time wasted by idiots.  They would rather be left alone.

There are some of us who prefer solitude to company, and silence to noise.  We are would just as soon the world go away and let us have some peace and quiet.

As nothing to do with "having some to hide."  We just prefer to be left alone.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.