Can a green card holder stay outside US for more than a year ?.?

Hi Guys,

My Mom (green card holder) went to india in 2019 around July to be with my pregnant sister. She was scheduled to fly back in June 7th but due to the lockdown in India she will be unable to take that flight and there is a good chance that the lockdown may go for few more months, which means she'll probably be in India for more than a year. Will this cause any problems for her at the port of entry when she comes back after staying outside US for more than a year ?.

My wife (gree card holder)  and my 3 month old son (US Citizen) went India in December 2019 and they were scheduled to fly back in April but they are also stuck there but luckily they still have a few more months to go before I start panicking for them. 

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated .

Thank you very much!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Only if the green card holder applied for and received a re-entry permit BEFORE they left the US. Then they can be outside the US for 2 years. If no reentry permit, their residence is considered abandoned after 1 year,

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Why would your mother stay for nearly a year just because her daughter is pg? A few weeks, at most, is all that is typical. Mom was flying perilously close to the wind to begin with & did not request any advance permission to be out of the US for more than a year. As it was, she would have been out of US over 6 months, barely shy of a year, so none of the time she spent back in her own country would count toward meeting residency requirements to apply for naturalization. Furthermore, green card holders who return to their country of citizenship can be considered to have resumed residency in their own country & abandoned their GC immediately by returning home. 

With the covid-19 situation, she might possibly get to return to US & keep her GC. But since she returned home for so very long to begin with, that really does not bode well.

As for your wife, it's too soon to guess if & when she might be able to travel internationally. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your mother required a re entry permit organised before she left........... as after 1 yr out of the US the green card is considered abandoned

• 1 month ago

USCIS website:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-yo...

Despite the common impression, international air travel has not been suspended.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you need to ask immigration about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.