Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How do I get my boss to stop offering something I don't want/have room for?

My assistant manager is essentially trying to foist plants on me for my back patio as a gift even though I have nicely and politely said TWICE I don't have much room because of the size of the patio and the amount of larger potted plants I already have (I have 3 big ones and a long raised planter, plus about 4 smaller plants.)

I'm not a plant fanatic like I think he thinks I am. Most of these were given to me and as a novice with plants, the ones I have are keeping me busy enough.

(p.s: for context: I just recently made a formal complaint about this guy because he was hugging me so much I became uncomfortable)

Say "would you shut up about the goddamn plants already!?"

You cannot control what your boss, or anyone else, does or says. 

• I agree with Foofa.

If this is someone you've already had to complain about for overstepping I'd just tell him your patio is full, but thanks. In fact at this point accepting gifts from him is probably the defense strategy he's building so when the stuff hits the fan he can point to these "gifts" to prove that you're close friends. 

"Thanks, Bob, but as I said last time you offered - no, I really don't want any more plants. Now, what's happening with the Smith contract?"

Don't get into a conversation about this, don't make excuses, don't give reasons, don't make up any white lies, or he'll just keep knocking down your arguments. Don't argue: just say "Thanks but no", and if he raises it even one more time, just shake your head and walk away.

• Chanel

Tell him "sorry but I do not want anymore plants. I don't really like them".

Some people only hear what they want to hear and are too thick to understand when a person says they do not want something.

A similar thing happened to me and the woman got upset cos I gave them away but her boyfriend took my side and said that I didn't want them in the first place.

A person brought me round a plant years ago knowing I don't like them and I said "just a minute" and I put it out in the street.

Somebody took it.

just tell him no thanks , you have enough plants already

It sounds like you need to be firm and direct.  Tell him you don't want or need any plants and he needs to stop asking or you will go to management.  Repeat as necessary.

maybe you should talk to your manager about it

• A

just say you appreciate the offer but don't want them