Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Can your describe the temperment of the border collie?

I know temperament varies from dog to dog, but what are border collies generally like? I've heard they are protective, but exactly how protective? Will they stick by you like cattle dogs will?

I know I can look it up online, but I want the feedback of someone who actually has a border collie. 

So, I've heard border collies are/can be aloof with strangers. Is this true? If so, exactly how aloof?

they are a lot like normal dogs....on meth

They have extreme mental focus and energy. They need something to do pretty much every day or they can go kinda nuts. If you want a dog to lay around the house and give pets to, look elsewhere. If you want a dog to train to do something, there is no better. 

Protective is not what comes to my mind for the border collies I know.

I would think more like ... intelligent ... needs a job ... high energy ... not for the inactive or casual dog owner.

If I were to take on a border collie I’d be planning to spend hours a day training and probably build an agility course in a corner of the yard.  Those dogs need almost constant activity and stimulation.  It’s a hard row to hoe to have a dog that is smarter than you are...

• F

They are the most intelligent breed but are bred to deal with stroppy sheep and double up as guard dogs, so can be quite aggressive and are very protective. 

They are also almost impossible to tire, so are a  definitely no no, if you live in a flat, gave  a small garden or out all day.

That would be for an individual dog.  Within a litter of pups there is a pecking order.  That pecking order will tell you the basic temperament just by where it ranks in the pecking order.  Top of the pecking order is the most dominate pup in the litter & the ranking goes down from there to the last one, which would be the most submissive.  You can learn 'how to pick a pup out of a litter', just google it.  It ranks from the most dominate to the most submissive.  Me, personally would stay away from the last two of the pecking order & most likely I would choose the most dominate.  But if you are not real knowledgeable about dogs, you may want to choose one that in in between.

You can google the AKC Standards for the breed & they tell you everything including all about the temperament.  Most of you question can be answered with, it depends on your ability as a trainer to get the most out of your dog.  Behavior can be modified.

Dont get a border collie if you cannot handle one. Do your research, visit and meet other border collies. If you exersise him and give him a job to do, play with him and socialize him, you'll have a friend for life who will stick by your side. They can be protective, but not over protective. They usually only make good watchdogs. If you want a guard dog, don't get a border collie. Also, I'd recommend not getting a guard dog, unless you need one to help around the farm/herd cattle/watch overy chickens/sheep/goats/animals. They can develope separation anxiety easily.  My cattle dog gets along well with my border collie. Take advice from me;I've owned border collies for over 20 years and have loved all of them. I take in rescue shelter borders. I'd recommend helping out a shelter by rescuing a border collie. 

• patty

depends on their star sign

• Jojo

Surely your best source of information about this subject is to `Google` it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+the+temper...

Border collies are generally very loyal and extremely smart and energetic. They pride themselves on work and should be rewarded with work. They are not the most affectionate dog in the world, but they can be very loving in their own way. 

They are also not as food motivated as most breeds. They would, again, rather work and burn off energy than eat, so you can expect some to be finicky eaters. 

Many also tend to be very timid and nervous and a “their family only” kind of dog: loving up on other people, accepting people into the house, meeting new people is not how they roll. They love kids and other animals, mostly for the sake of herding them. It is important to teach them that mouthing and nipping is unacceptable early on, because as a working and herding dog, this is ingrained in them how to function. 

All and all, very sweet and loving, but with excel better with a family/person that loves being outdoors and will give him things to do. A herding class and agility would be a very good thing after he’s over the adolescent phase of things. 

They will generally do anything you want them to.

i would go visit one at a petstore and then you'll know