eng asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is Pasteurizing eggs at 160 f okay?

So I used a crappy thermometer and the temp said 125f for ten minutes while the stove was on med/low with my eggs in there and so after 10 minutes I couldn’t rely on my crappy thermometer so I went and grabbed my good thermometer after the ten minutes and saw it was actually 160f  you think my eggs are well pasteurized and safe I just need a second opinion.

I want to use the eggs for my protein shake. 

• kswck2

Why would you pasteurize eggs? Just cook them for a few minutes. 

unless you intend to eat them raw or use the yolks to make your own mayo, you wasted time and eggs.

No need to pastuerize eggs that you intend to cook.

Why would you want to pasteurise eggs? Why would eggs not be “safe”?

You can calibrate your "crappy" thermometer. 

Take a glass, fill with ice and then add water.  Place the thermometer in the ice and water.  The temp should go to "0" F

If it does not make note of the temp and add or subtract the number of degrees it is off.  And next time you're at the store get another thermometer. 

It has taken me 10 minutes getting eggs to 160 when making my French Silk Pie so if your heat was high enough my guess is you probably hit that 160.  And if you did not hit the 160 the chance of getting ill is not high..it is only if the eggs were contaminated and not all eggs are. 

There's a good chance that they are partially cooked. The guideline I read, from Anova (that makes sous vide circulators) is 135° for 75 minutes. Next breakfast, break one into a bowl. If It's all liquid, you can scramble it or fry sunny side up, or make an omlette. If some of the white has solidified, it's an omlette. But either way, you'll know the condition of the rest of the eggs.