What’s wrong with my sewing machine?

I recently got a singer 6110 sewing machine off craigslist and I don’t know how to sew. I wanted to use it for embroidery so I’m using a darning foot but the back of the work is all bunched up loose threads. I’ve tried altering the thread pressure but I don’t really know what I’m doing. Also it smells hot so I unplugged it and I’m not gonna use it for a while. I think it was heating all the loose thread since I just continued sewing, I didn’t know it was there til after. Anyway does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? 

The photo is of the back of the fabric (where it’s bunching)

Looks like the tension is messed up and needs adjusted. I would take it to a repair shop and have it cleaned and adjusted.

In addition to everyone's good advice: When you use the darning plate and darning foot be sure to thread the machine with the presser foot up and be sure to lower the presser foot When sewing.  It's really easy to forget to lower the foot when doing free motion work but it is absolutely necessary to have to foot down. That loopy mess on the back looks like the foot wasn't down. Also double check that both the needle in the top and the bobbin in the bottom are threaded correctly. Follow the instructions in the manual. If you don't have an instruction manual then go to singer.com and download a pdf of the manual. If you need visual aids go to YouTube and search for videos that show exactly how to thread the needle and the bobbin.  

• drip

As said. Take everything out. Make sure there are no threads or dust in the bobbin case.  Make sure you have put the bobbin case back in correctly. Set your tension back to normal. Put the dog feeds back up. You may want to change the needle, it could of been damaged.  Set the machine to a straight stitch and about a 3 for stitch length.

Then with no thread at all in the machine, sew on a piece of paper.

How is it sewing.  Is it making any weird noises or heating up?  Are the holes uniform and the same distance apart.

If everything is good. Now rewind the bobbin with an even speed.  

Put the bobbin in and make sure it has caught on the tension notches.

Next thread the upper thread with the pressure foot UP. Thread the needle and pull the thread behind the needle. Keeping the pressure foot UP Hold on to that thread tail and manually turn the the hand wheel and pull up the bobbin thread. Pull both threads behind the needle.

Now insert your fabric, lower the pressure foot and hold on to the thread tails for the first few stitches.  Sew a straight stitch.  Sew for a good length.  Does the machine sound good. No heat. Stop, left the pressure foot and pull the fabric back and out. You always want the thread moving behind the needle.   How does the back look? As good as the top?  

If not you should seek help from an experienced sewer.  And or take you machine in for a tune up. Which I would of suggested doing when you first got it used off of Craig’s list.

Free motion embroidery is tricky,  it takes a lot of practice.  A LOT,   It looks like you may have Been sewing too much in one place.

I have sewn for 30+ years and have rarely ever had to adjust my tension. 

A beginner sewer is going to make many mistakes. You don’t know how to fix a problem and can make it worse.  

Watch YouTube’s.  Take lessons.  Some places will give you a one time lesson on how to use your machine.  How to thread it, wind the bobbin, change the needle, drop the feed dogs, do a satin stitch. Change the width and length, just the basics of your machine. 

It can take time.  I would practice just sewing first before you go on to free motion embroidery. Be comfortable with using the machine.  Do a straight stitch and see if you can sew straight, make a good seam. Practice sewing an inside and outside curve.   Do a zig zag stitch. Then a satin stitch. 

Be patient.  It takes time. 

Go to a specialist in fixing torn clothes,he will know how exactly to operate your sewing machine!You are simply lacking mastery of it!In each large city there IS a specialist,so search web wide for "sewing machine...",where ...is your city!

• Jen

Yes, you need to tighten your tension.  My tension knob on my singer is on the front.  Also try taking out the bobbin and reinserting.  As for why it is overheating, hmm...that is something different.  Did it come with a manual?  If not, I strongly suggest finding it online and reading it first.    

This thread bunching is called "bird-nesting" and there is a lot of information on the web about troubleshooting this problem.*Check that the bobbin is correctly inserted

*Check that the bobbin housing is clean and free of dust and debris.

*Make sure the top thread is threaded correctly, especially where it goes through the tensioner.

*Make sure the presser foot is down.

*Check bobbin tension

*Be sure you're using the appropriate size/type of needle for the fabric and that the needle isn't bent.

• Lib.rare.ian

Agreed, and I suggest that the poster should learn to always thread the machine while the needle is in the UP position, so that the thread can pass between the upper tension discs while they are in the open position. When the needle is in the DOWN position, the tension discs are closed.

It’s supposed to sew, not sing. Get a sewer, not a singer.