Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is it wrong for a junior high school principal to embarrass an 8th grader by hinting to the entire class that he’s not graduating?

Let’s say she makes him attend graduation rehearsal, and tells him to sit in the third church pew while his classmates sit in the first two pews, even though his last name begins with a “C.”  FYI, it’s a very small parochial school with just 11 graduates.  So, the pews were big enough to seat more than five people.  During rehearsal, the student is the last to obtain his “pretend” diploma.  Was the principal wrong for humiliating him like that?  Keep in mind that he wasn’t the cliché troublemaking student on TV who’s on the teacher’s “sh*t” list, i.e. Bart Simpson and Zack Morris.  On the contrary, he was an extremely well-mannered and behaved young man with possibly a learning disability.  So he was never disrespectful to the teachers or principal, who BTW once yelled at him in front of the class “How dare you!” just because he went home instead of staying after school with the rest of the class for a study review session.  She basically put him on her “sh*t” list for being an underachiever who says “yes, ma’am.  Should she have been reprimanded for this kind of behavior, along with embarassing him at graduation.  Please, no trolls or “snowflake“ comments, as I am simply trying to understand how a faculty admin. could torture a 13-year-old who never hurt a fly.  Please keep an open mind, thank you very much.

it is wrong to embarrass. this junior high principal is small  minded in their thinking.

I would say exactly the same as I said when  you asked this same question half a dozen times before.

I would say they were wrong. When I graduated from college one of my classmates found out just before the ceremony that he was 2 credits short and would not graduate but the university say he should keep his place in the que and they would call his name and give him a dummy diploma so he would not be embarrassed. That is the way to handle the problem.

• Kelley

The Principal and Teachers must be reported immediately.  The child's parents must be informed immediately.  The child must switch schools immediately.