Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If someone says 'thank you' is it more polite to say 'you're welcome' back than it is to say nothing? Or does it not matter?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

a you are welcome acknowledges it and closes out the statement.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Its polite to say 'you're welcome', or even something like 'that's fine'.  Its nice that someone says 'thank you', it merits a polite reaction. 

• 1 month ago

Ultimately, this comes down to personal choice.  Some people will automatically say 'You're welcome' while others may nod their head or smile or provide no response.

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of-course you say 'you're welcome', unless the 'thank you' was insincere or said condescendingly, then an F.U. would be the correct response.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I  have both English and Canadian friends and live in the US it is considered only polite to say your welcome/

• 1 month ago

You certainly have to acknowledge their thanks, but that doesn't mean your only option is to say "You're welcome".

Often "You're welcome" can seem a bit too much for a very simple transaction, and in that case you can just nod and/or smile.

• polly
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Or how about when some says "Thank-you" & they respond with "No,no Thannnnk-yoooou"

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it might be better to say youre welcome

• polly
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think that saying you're welcome makes the other persons thank-you feel acknowledged & validated.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You should certainly acknowledge them. But it isn't necessary to actually SAY "You're welcome".

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A nod or a "umm unnn" can be fine. Of course "you're welcome" is traditional in the US but I'm weary of having a hissy fit when someone doesn't follow the exact script you expect them to. Lord knows we already have way too many of those people who do.

• 1 month ago

depends on the situation. at the checkout, the clerk says thank you and moves on to the next customer, there is no need. If the clerk has no customer, then say something like had a good day. If you do something for someone and they say thank you, then it is polite to say you`re welcome. I hate when they say "no problem". it is stupid to say as if it was a problem, they would not have done it

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Maybe your role models were senior to you, and they felt they should thank the 'minions'. I don't see why anyone who ISN'T the boss should say 'Thank you' to anyone. Just say 'Bye - see you on Monday!'

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.