Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Is “La-a” a good name?

Hello, some of my coworkers and family have criticized the name I want my child to have when she is born. I think it’s a very unique and beautiful name. The pronunciation is LAH DASH AH.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You can't be serious.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

It's a decade old urban legend - so neither unique nor beautiful.

"Symbols and letters can be combined to form words that are easily pronounceable based on the understood sounds assigned to various symbols: The male name “Matt” could be rendered as “M@” for instance, with most people easily working out how to say it. However, such a system of creative (or “kre8tiv”) spellings has some drawbacks, which we’ll highlight by looking at how those factors would affect a name like “Le-a”:

* Not all symbols go by only one name. While the “-” in “Le-a” could be parsed as “dash,” it could just as easily be read as “hyphen” or even “minus.” Such alternate interpretations of the “-” would render “Ledasha” as “Lehyphena” and “Leminusa.”

* Confusion would exist when a symbol employed in a name could also serve as a pronunciation guide. The dash in “Le-a” could just as validly be read as a separator between two distinct parts of the word that are to be pronounced as distinct syllables. What is meant as “Ledasha,” therefore, could be understood by some to mean “Lee-ahh.”

* Symbols aren’t pronounced the same in every language. The dash in “Le-a” could render the name as “Letraita” in French, for instance. 

In the ten years since we first published this article, we’ve heard from hundreds of people who have claimed that they knew a student, classmate, patient, neighbor, co-worker — or relative thereof — named “Le-a,” yet the existence of any person actually so named remains elusively undocumented. "

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Did you snort a lot of glue when you were young?

• 2 months ago

It's in no way unique or beautiful 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

avoid pregnancy..........

• 2 months ago

I doubt that you're even pregnant. You're just trying to trigger people here. La-a, is not even original; other little girls, unfortunately, have already been saddled with that name.

• edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why not use the name “_”  or “ ,” becauee they’re stupid.  Pronouncing punctuation in names is stupid.  Can you imagine that.  “Hey Underscore, can you answer this question?

• 2 months ago

Your coworkers and family are correct.  La-a is cute and fine for a 5 year old, not for an adult to be saddled with through life.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.