why won't they launch space flights when storms are near if planes can be built to withstand lightning why can't these new SpaceX vehicles? ?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Planes run on gasoline ...rockets use a stuff a tad bit more explosive remember the Hindenburg blimp 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

No idea what kind of plane you fly but I avoid thunderstorms at all costs. I landed 200 miles from my destination to avoid the last thunderstorm that blocked me from home.

• 1 month ago

Tell that to Apollo 12. A storm very nearly aborted that flight.

• 1 month ago

Rocket fuel is dangerous enough when ignited as planned. Lightning adds 100,000 volts to the equation. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

One space launch of people for the ISS costs more than 300 million.  That is cost of at least 10 airliners.

Got to be careful at that high price.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because planes are not rockets.  And planes don't fly in bad weather either.

• jehen
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Planes don't go through weather if they can avoid it and none of the go through it at many times the speed of sound

• 1 month ago

Rockets are basically a flying tube full of highly explosive liquids. A lightning strike on a rocket can cause very serious, disastrous damage.

Planes are built in such a way as to conduct any surge from a lightning strike around the outside of the plane, making any damage very minimal.

• 1 month ago

They cant take any chances

Like the night before the Challenger Launch there had been a - 10 C frost

It rendered an important O Ring on one of the Booster Rockets very brittle to disasterous results on the day

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

planes are flown by REAL people who can correct some course changes, but the rocket is flown by computers .................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.