Is this sentence grammatically correct?

"If the government had taken this step earlier, then this solution would have not only mitigated the overpopulation problem but also would have saved the cities from further pollution by industries." Should i use "would have" two times in this sentence or using just after not only is enough? 

Any help would be appreciated.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It's fine-that makes your phrases parallel, which is a good thing.

BUT- it's "would not only have mitigated". 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

"If the government had taken this step earlier, then this solution would not only have mitigated the overpopulation problem but also would have saved the cities from further pollution by industries." 

• 1 month ago

If you're keeping the sentence the way it is, you should use 'would not have only...'  Then, eliminate "but also/. " After "problem," use a semi-colon, then write: 'it would have also saved the cities...'  

• 1 month ago

Gypsyfish is right about the word placement, I.e. "would not only have..." However, I have a more subtle objection. Using the term "solution" is questionable because your thought conveys a theoretical possibility. To imply that your idea is unquestionably the solution is illogical. You should have said something like, If the government had taken this step earlier IT MIGHT (or may)  HAVE .....not only.....

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

This sentence is fine grammatically. If you want an alternative, you might consider: "If the government acted sooner, it could have mitigated the overpopulation, as well as saved cities from further industrial pollution."

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I know the Third conditional is used differently by American speakers. British speakers say "If the government HAD ACTED sooner" ...

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Simple answer: you do not need to repeat "would have".

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There's nothing ungrammatical about using "would have" two times, but it's deadwood. As deadwood, it's better hewn from the sentence.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.