Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

what do you think of my warm idioms and can you add to it?

• (as) warm as toast

• Cold hands, warm heart

• death warmed up

• feel like death warmed over

• feel like death warmed up

• housewarming (party)

• keep (one's) (something) warm

• keep somebody's seat, etc. warm

• keep something warm for someone

• like death warmed over

• like death warmed over/up, to feel/look

• like death warmed up

• look like death

• look like death warmed over

• look like death warmed up

• lovely and (something)

• lovely and warm, cold, quiet, etc.

• make it warm for (one)

• make it warm for someone

• make things warm for (one)

• nice and (something)

• nice and peaceful, comfortable, warm, etc.

• warm and fuzzy

• warm as toast

• warm body

• warm fuzzy

• warm heart, a

• warm over

• warm regards

• warm someone up

• warm the bench

• warm the cockles

• warm the cockles of (one's) heart

• warm the cockles of heart

• warm the cockles of one's heart

• warm the cockles of one's heart, to

• warm the cockles of someone's heart

• warm the cockles of your heart

• warm to

• warm to (someone or something)

• warm up

• warm up to

• warm up to (someone or something)

• warm welcome

• warm welcome, a

Good list.  You covered it.

Many of these are not idioms, and you've repeated many of them anyway. So I'd have to say that your list leaves me cold.

Most of those aren't idioms. Idioms are expressions that have a meaning independent of what their words taken separately convey such that the meaning being conveyed cannot be inferred from the literally meaning of the words said. An example of an idiom is "to wrap (one's) head around" because unless you have a foreknowledge of what's meant by it, you cannot possibly understand what's meant by it, like if I say, "I'm trying to wrap my head around John's novel," someone unfamiliar with the idiom would find what I said to be bizarre, absurd, and possibly gory, but if I say something is "warm as toast," that's a simile that's readily understood by anyone without any foreknowledge of a meaning that isn't readily apparent from the literal meanings of the words themselves.

An idiom with "warm" in it would be "warm gun" as an idiom for "syringe full of heroine," the idiom coming about from the Beatles' lyric "Happiness is a warm gun," which, incidentally, isn't what John Lennon said he meant by the lyric. Even if Lennon was prevaricating when he said he only meant the literal warmth of an actual gun after it's been shot and did, in fact, intend a drug meaning, it not having any prior idiomatic meaning would have had to play on "gun" being an idiom for "arm" and use "warm" to indicate the warm sensation that heroine gives entering one's arm and traveling up it after injection. That makes "warm gun" coming to mean "syringe full of heroine" instead of "arm feeling warm right after being injected with heroine" purely idiomatic, "gun" taking on a new idiomatic sense and "warm" losing all its literal sense.