Will inserting a new hardrive into a blank laptop and useing XP installation CD all I'll need to use my laptop again?

I currently have a dell inspiron 9300. The hardrive was removed as it broke. The laptop still functions and screen works. If I purchased a new blank hardrive and inserted it into the laptop and used a windows XP installation CD, will this make the laptop reusable again with a clean installation. Or would there be anything else I'd need to do. This is probably basic to most people but I've never done this. Thought I'd ask here before purchasing the blank hardrive.

Many thanks.

• you need  to put windows 7 on it  update to windows 10

• Shadow

If you do that, then the laptop will be reusable again. Keep in mind that you would need the drivers for that specific laptop for optimal performance as Windows XP more than likely does not have generic drivers for the hardware and the chances of Windows Update having the drivers are slim due to the discontinued support of XP several years ago.

• keerok

If the only problem is the missing hard disk then yes, that should work.

• WayneH

If the BIOS is set to look at the optical drive first (you may have to set this in the BIOS) for the installation for XP, insert the install CD and boot. Just follow the prompts to install it. You may have to go to Dell and get specific drivers for audio, video, networking, etc.  

You need to also set the bios to boot up the optical drive first. You can fix your computer that way after installing a new HD.

• Bill

insert a solid state hard drive and forget the win xp . install win10 or free unbuntu for a better os

That is correct, yes. 

you'll need the install drivers disk from Dell.  see their support page