By refreezing ice cream which previously melted, will I ruin it?

I bought a carton of ice cream from the grocery store. Because of the hot summer heat, it melted before I could get it home. If I refreeze it will the quality be ruined?

It will certainly not be the same. I'd expect it to have a gritty texture and to have frozen in layers with solid ice at the bottom.

• denise

If its melted completely, the texture will 'suffer' when its re-frozen.

It is going to be very icy. The flavor will be there but the texture will be bad.

• kswck2

Better idea. Freeze a glass of milk, add it to the ice cream , and you have a backwards milkshake. 

I had an acquaintance who got tired of being a banker and bought an ice cream store franchise. He told me that one day the cleaning service he had hired unplugged his main freezer and all of the product melted to some degree. He called the franchisor and asked what to do. He was told to plug in the freezer and wait. He did and he couldn't tell the difference between re-frozen and fresh ice cream.

They usually put stabilizers in them so they can stand being thawed and refrozen once or twice. Eat it and see.

• RJ

It is okay to refreeze it, though the texture will change a bit 

More than likely the texture will be affected by crystals forming but the flavor should be OK.