Cthulhu asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 4 months ago

Billed for an office visit for a telemedicine visit?

I had no choice but to do a telemedicine visit with my rheumatologist due to COVID-19 closing the office. They just sent me a bill for $250 for an office visit and claimed they billed my insurance, but my insurance company covers office visits with specialists at a $40 copay. 

Any idea who to call first?

• Erik

"telemedicine" is not a word

• Amy

Call your insurance first. Find out why they didn't cover the $210 that they normally cover.

It could be a legitimate reason, such as specialist visits counting towards your deductible before insurance pays anything.

It could be a billing error that the doctor's office needs to fix.

Or the telemedicine service might not be covered by your insurance plan. In that case see whether the doctor can bill it as a regular office visit instead. Or whether they have a lower rate for uninsured patients.

If they billed your insurance, you would receive an EOB (Explanation of Benefits).  That will show the charges and what you owe.  Just keep in mind that your doctor is going to charge you full price for a visit even if it was telemedicine.  Telemedicine in general is through whatever provider or directly through the insurance company.  

So, go online first and see if there's a claim.  If not, call the doctor and tell them to submit it.

Call both, doesn’t matter who first, you will need to talk to both. Currently telemedicine should be covered

Source(s): PA

I'd call the doctor's office to make sure they billed your insurance company.

You have far worse than severe autoimmune disease. In fact, putting you to death would be merciful.

Phucknuts.

Call first about what?

Yes, you were charged for an office visit because that is what it equates to.

Did you think it was going to be free?

Pay the $40 and your insurance will pay their portion. 

Insurance doesn't cover telemedicine.

You did have a choice; you could have chosen a doctor who doesn't charge for telemedicine.

Because you, not your insurance, not your doctor's office, chose for you to use a doctor who charges for telemedicine, you have to pay the bill.

Call first your bank, to see if you have enough money to pay the bill, and to take out a loan if you don't, and then the doctor's office, to pay the bill.