Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 month ago

Scam or legit?

I was searching for a used car online and found a great deal. It's a new car dealer that lets you reserve the car so they will hold it for you. I reserved it for 5 days so I can get the money ready. During this time they kept calling and emailing me daily to remind me that I had reserved the car.

Today was the day so I left home early since it was a 100 mile drive. They called while I was on the freeway to ask if I was coming and I told them yes. Then they called back 15 minutes later saying that they couldn't in good conscience sell me the car cause they forgot to inspect it and that the law requires a certificate of inspection to sell it. I was obviously upset since I was almost there and they never bothered to tell me this the previous 5 days. It sounds like complete B.S. to me. They said they would have it inspected on Monday and call me but I have a feeling it won't pass their fake inspections and the car never existed.

So do you think this is a scam or legit?

That sounds like a definite scam.

• RP

If you are not already convinced you've been had, although the benefit the dealer derived from leading you on is unclear, you might want to check with the licensing authority to see if this dealer has any history of complaints or some record of disreputable dealings.

Did they have Arabic accents? 

Yes it's a scam dummy. So are free gift card ones.

• Kathy

You should pass on the car, and find another one to buy.

• Baal

When you arrive the car will have already been sold (if it ever existed at all) and they will try to put you in another car and to make it up to you they will give you a break on the price.  The scam is called "Bait and Switch".  Report it to your local Better Business Bureau.

was it a blonde TV ad in uk

Since you were almost there why not just go and see it. Even if you have to come back again 

Scam. How much did you send them?