Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can Kroger legally tow my car? Why or why not?

Where I live Kroger offers their "Click It" online shopping service where they bring your orders to your car.  These spaces have signs that designate them as "click it" spaces, but do not prohibit others from parking there and I am using them as a client of the Kroger store (not other shops in the shopping strip).  They have tried to verbally deter me on one or two occasions, threatening to tow me if I returned,  but I am not convinced it is against the rules or the law because I don't do so during their busy times so the space I take is not taking away from those who subscribe to the "click it" service, nor is their signage prohibiting it.  Does a verbal warning exist in perpetuity? Do they have good legal cause to have me towed from these parking spaces?  If so, why?  If not, why not?

• Judith

There is no law about this.  It is Kroger's property.  They make the rules and they decide what to do if jerks like you break them.  You lazy?  or just like to cause trouble?  If I were the manager, I wouldn't ever let you back into my store.  World has enough jerks in it; your absence from their store and property would make their store and property a better place to be. Hope they DO tow your vehicle away - a fee, BTW, YOU would have to pay when you go to pick the car up from impound. Hope you think it worth it.

Also you aren't a protected class.  You aren't being discriminated against because of your race, religion, gender or age.  And self-entitled jerks don't fall into the protected class either.

Kroger is private propertu, with public access. In short, yes they can tow your vehicle, and since you have been told that, what is the issue? 

• xyzzy

Their parking lot is their property and they can determine who may park where. If you have been warned not to park in a space that is marked for click it service then by parking there you are guilty of trespass and they are totally within their rights to have your car towed.

Yes, they can tow you.  

Let's put it this way is is not illegal to have your car towed as the sign stipulates what it is for and by using it for something else you're interfering with their business. 

• Kieth

The sign designates it as parking for that purpose only, tell it to the impound lot clerk when you are paying your $300 impound fee.

Kroger-tow sells used cars real cheap.

It's their property, so they don't have any legal obligation to allow you to park there, and don't have to have written rules about who can and cannot park there. The only thing they can't do is base their determination on a protected class, such as race or gender.