Greg asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 month ago

When you apply for a job, before they hire you, do they check to make sure you really graduated from the school you say you went to?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Well known and professional companies really do background checks. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

some places they would.

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not high school, but college they often will.   Sometimes they don't get around to it until after they hired you.   If they do a background check you can count on it.  If not then probably not.  Otherwise it may just depend on if they hired you more for your experience or degree. 

• 1 month ago

If it matters to them they can, and do, check. If it doesn't matter they won't bother. But if you are found out as lying on your application you'll be fired. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Depends on the nature of the job. 

When I applied to work with the federal government in a position that required a security clearance, they checked everything about me going back seven years and checked with former employers farther than that.  Fortunately I had the diplomas available for them to examine as well as other documentation.

On the other hand, if you are applying for a job as burger flipper, who knows how far back they will take it?

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's up to the company. They can do it before, if they have the time and manpower, or do it later when they start doubting your qualifications. Whichever, you'd be living dangerously. You can be sued for misrepresentation.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

why else would they ask for it?

• 1 month ago

They could and may. It really depends on the requirements for the job you are seeking.

Lying on your resume or CV is cause for dismissal and if a government job, a crime of lying on a government form. 

Honesty is the best policy and liars are always found out. 

• 1 month ago

They can.  It depends on the position you are applying for.  If the job requires a degree they will check that your degree is legit.  It depends on the employer.

But you always have to make the assumption that they will.  Because if they do and the claim is fake, you can forget about getting the job.  Even if you do not need the degree, the fact you lied rules you out of getting the job.

• 1 month ago

Any worthwhile employer would, yes.

I KNOW this as I was one of those worthwhile employers.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.