Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

Do you feel that high school prepared you for the real world or college?

I am only going into high school and am taking a lot of honors classes, be honest how effective are they?

• A.J.

High school prepared me for college, and college for my career as a Procurement Engineer and Project Manager. You should be considering a career and not just going to school to take classes. Probably 2/3 of what you learn will have little application directly in the future. It prepares you for the real world in ways you don't expect now.

In the real world, you learn on your own. Good colleges teach that. High School teaches ways and methods to learn and gives you some kind of broad background introduction. Any decent high school gives you basic skills.

In the real world, you need to think. A brain not exercised becomes mush.

School teaches you how to think.

In the real world things are multi-discipline. You connect science, math, and language and social sciences. Few things of importance are single subject skilled. 

In the real world, life is on a clock. You have to learn to manage time. School pressures and concurrent work items help you to learn time management.

It doesn't matter much that the French and Indian War was named after the losers. It doesn't matter that anything divided by zero is infinity. It doesn't matter that you can make a battery out of a potato. It doesn't matter that you can only know where an electron was and not where it is. It doesn't matter that time passage slows at high speeds. It doesn't matter that the word "hot" has over 12 different meanings. What does count is finding what interests you. What does count is that if your career is building computers you know the difference between a good power supply and a bad one, and what method to find out one from another. They will not generally teach you that. They teach you how to approach a question.

• y

High school alone does not, it's a combination of high school, of friends, parents, bosses/coaches.  It is more then just the schooling that is needed to prepare one.

High school did not prepare me, neither did my parents, the military taught me how to act while giving me a controlled environment to finally grow up in.

• PoBoy

The answer is highly variable. It depends on the quality of the HS and who else goes there. Do you need to study an hour a week or 2 hours a day to be competitive? Unfortunately, I went to one of the worst HS imaginable, and it took me two years in college to get it. If you are in a similar situation push yourself. An A at my HS wasn’t worth the paper it was printed on.

• Rick

no where near as good as boot camp did ...................

Source(s): Retired Army SFC.