Name your top 5 movies that surprised you for being better than you expected?

In no particular order:

Storks (the whole idea seemed absurd to me but found it really funny)

The Greatest Showman (after the fiasco with La La Land, knowing it's music by the same people, I feared not liking it, but I loved it)

The Secret Life of Pets (same as Storks)

Coco (I enjoyed The Book of Life, and because of the similarity with the theme, I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it. I did)

Murder Mystery (I hardly like any movie with Adam Sandler, this was better than expected).

Jojo Rabbit - I went into it expecting it to be a Mel Brooks-ish type comedy, but it was actually a good story.

Vanilla Sky - I'm generally not a fan of Tom Cruise movies, and even didn't much like this movie half way into it. However, by the end I could appreciate the nonsense. I watched the Spanish movie 'Open Your Eyes' (the movie Vanilla Sky was a remake of), and like it better.

Forrest Gump - The praise and admiration verbiage used for describing the movie was of the variety usually reserved for the most horrible Hollywood garbage they can come up with (e.g. Birdman, No Country for Old Men, etc). I found the movie entertaining and is actually one of the movies I'll sit down and re-watch occasionally.

Stranger Than Fiction - I had seen Will Farrell doing serious character roll in Everything Must Go (horrible movie) and was apprehensive about seeing another of his serious rolls when a friend recommended Stranger Than Fiction. So, I went in expecting another garbagefest, but was pleasantly surprised by it being a good story.

Vanilla Sky (for the same reasons Little Princess mentioned), Guardians of the Galaxy and the Court Jester and in particular many movies form the 1920s till 1950s.

Without a doubt...........

1.) Guardians of the Galaxy..  Never have I been so surprised that a movie that LOOKED so stupid......(a raccoon with guns?  a talking tree? )  ...........was actually  so damn GOOD, and I would  RUN to see the sequel. 

Drax had me in Stitches!!!!! He was HILARIOUS!   I cannot ***wait*** for GOTG 3 !!

2.)   Transformers (and I include ALL of them in this) Again, I expected absolutely nothing and thought they would be stupid as hell........but again, after seeing the first one, I was solidly hooked, and became a fan!

3. ) Coco.......again, the commercials just looked stupid........talking skeletons........mehhhhh, ......but I finally sat down and watched it, and couldn't believe how good the STORY actually was.   I was impressed. 

4. )  Green Book.......the reviews were so dry.......and the subject matter didn't sound all that appealing, but I will go see anything with Viggo Mortensen in it, as he is EXCELLENT in everything he does,  and he didn't disappoint here either.  Another outstanding performance, and the movie was actually pretty damn good. 

5.)  Big Fish ....again, a victim of lousy , misleading advertising, and  just gave the wrong impression of what the movie was actually about.......but by the end of the movie, I was totally hooked and absorbed.  Fascinating story. 

I don't know what to say about the movies that surprised me for being better than I expected. I have don't have that much comment. But I have my five, thought.

1. Get Out

2. The Greatest Showman

3. Green Book

4. Coco

5. Forrest Gump

1. Get Out (When I saw the trailer, I thought it looked like a bad horror-comedy, and I couldn't have been more wrong)

2. 10 Cloverfield Lane (I really don't like the first Cloverfield movie, so to see the franchise become so smart and so thrilling surprised me a lot; John Goodman was practically Oscar worthy as Howard).3. Ford v. Ferrari (I'm not huge into sports movies, but this one I enjoyed a lot)

4. The Greatest Showman (I'm not huge into musical movies either, but again, I was very pleasantly surprised by how great it was)

5. Shazam! (It shocked me how much heart, soul, and great humor was in this movie)

Please

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

I watched The Last Exorcism for the first time last night, it was better than I expected.

And Green Book and The Favourite are two others.