Payload question for 83 ram?

So I have this question my trucks rear leaf springs are rated for 1500lbs and I want to get some rock for my driveway I know it's not smart to over load it but a landscaping place is only 10 min away on non highway roads how much can I go over I know it will hold 3/4 ton but what about 1 ton I'm not going far it's a 1983 dodge ram 318ci 727trans and it has a 3.55 diff and trans cooler

The weight in your case is not about your 318 engine or your auto trans or your 3.55:1 axle or your trans cooler. 

It's about your suspension and your tires and your brakes.  Read the notice on the sidewall of your tires about air pressure and load.

Your Ram is a half ton truck. 

The payload capacity is 1500 pounds.

Payload is suspension related.

It's not about 1500 pound springs.

You have misunderstood that.

the biggest issue is if your tires will carry the load, not your truck

• Ron

Haul a half yard at a time. You won't want to shovel more than that in a sitting anyhow

• Anton

Best answer is from parochial school graduate

Only 33% overload?  HA!!  Probably will not yet be on the bottom stoppers.

AND you are not going to push the speed.  You will have NO PROBLEM!

I experience is that you can haul a lot as long as you go in a straight line .  Corners are REALLY scary when you are overloaded.  Stopping takes extra distance too.  But the truck will be OK

Good idea to get the load as far forward as possible.  Too much weight at the rear (on the tailgate) and you do a permanent wheelie.

Make two or three trips.  Hire a bigger truck if the rock is huge.  Your truck is old.  Do not roll the dice on it.

• I put 3800 # of bagged fertilizer on my 1983 chevy S-10 and hauled it a mile and then into a worked field . No problem but it was sitting on the rubber stops with no spring. Hope that helps. It is your truck you can do what you want.