Drew asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

Can you freeze potatoes?

I'd like my potatoes to last longer so I was going to freeze them. Matt Damon did it in the Martian and it was ok. Will it work for me?

55 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

You can freeze them but you can't unfreeze them. But It could be a good way to get pre-made mashed potatoes. lol

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Nope not healthy but McDonald's does it

• 4 weeks ago

You can freeze COOKED potatoes. Not fresh ones. You can cut them into pieces, par-boil them and then freeze in airtight containers. And by the way--don't watch movies for cooking tips. 

• 4 weeks ago

Yes you can freeze potatoes Drew. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Although you can't freeze raw potatoes (they discolor and the texture changes), if you suddenly have way more potatoes than you can use before they wrinkle, you can freeze some for a short period of time with the right preparation.

• 4 weeks ago

YES... but you need to Wash Dry and PEEL them first. They will last even longer if you boil them before you freeze them or precook them and then freeze them.

'

Place them in a ZIP bag or freezer vacum bag for them to last even longer. 

• Elle
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

That is called "blanching".  Back in the day, I done a lot of canning that covered a lot of ways and types, including meats like venison.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, you can freeze potatoes but, washed them and peel them first. Do not freeze whole potatoes; cut for fries, or perhaps 1/2 in thick pieces.  Dry the cut pieces as well as you can, then fry to about 3/4 cooked, cool then place in strong snap-close plastic bags in the amount you like to use at one time. Place in freezer.

• dat is some controversial bazinga right here my man

• 4 weeks ago

You CAN freeze them,but after frozen they lose a substantial part of their vitamins and useful components,so you'd better not freeze them!Potatoes can hold well even without a fridge!

• 4 weeks ago

Par cook them and you can freeze them 

How ever you will want to use the potatoes prep them that way then plunge into boiling water for about 30 seconds then plunge into ice water, portion and freeze. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Hollywood often does things that are not realistic in the Real world. And No. You cannot freeze a raw potato. BUT, you Can freeze a cooked potato. You know of McDonalds 'frozen' French Fries they cook in the store? They are Not raw-they have been partially cooked. That's why it only takes a couple of minutes to have ready. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.