“Could the Civil War have been avoided?

Explain why or why not

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Could NOT! Powers were showing abilities AND this way avoiding crazy war that would finish us all!Its good they DID have "cold war";any real war then would be disasterous!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

If Lincoln had not been elected, then yes. As the southern states were already dead  set against him.

Lincoln, was so opposed to slavery from the 1840s. That no amount of consiliatory action was possible on his part, to calm the south down.

I guess you mean the US civil war. 1861 to 1865.

• 99%Anonymous
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Lincoln never cared about the Black Man

• 1 month ago

Hii Anonymous 

I am Rishab Shukla I am saying that because The American Civil War was no different in this regard, and no one can say that they truly saw it coming. It is easy to speculate in retrospect and say that the war was unavoidable, but the truth is far more complicated than that. In reality, the American Civil War was not inevitable and it could have easily been avoided. I am Digital Marketer For More Details Please log in This 

Powwow

www.powwow.co.in

• 1 month ago

Yes, the south could have allowed Lincoln to use federal $$ to buy all slaves, and allow them freedom, or residence in territories. For their own government.  Lincoln's ideas in 1860, but he evolved after numerous discussions with Frederick Douglass. 

• robert2020
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

I don't think most owners would have sold, their slaves. Slave were  needed every year, if you own a plantation. And they--like animals--reproduce. That stops future earnings.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

In which country? Not everyone here is American, and besides, isn't it your homework?

• 1 month ago

No..postponed??maybe...avoided?non because:

The agressive stand of the South on anyone threating the expansion of slavery.

The cultural differences that have built over time (religion, economics, politics)

Differences rooted even before the Treaty of Paris...(the Declaration of Independance eas adopted only thanks to deleting references to slavery)

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would be helpful you  had specified which civil war you are referring to .Many countries which include England, the US, Russia, Sudan have had civil wars. 

• 1 month ago

Any war can be avoided if one side is willing to give in. In the case of the US civil war, neither side was willing to give in. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think so. The cotton gin was invented 1793. Oddly enough, this made slave labor much higher demand to make the crop highly profitable. The first steam tractor is around 1845. The point being, the writing is on the wall to project technology will replace slave labor. The sides could have agreed to phase slavery out gradually as technology replaced slaves.

• ...Show all comments
    • Louie O
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Lee had his personal slave with him through the entire war, and Grant freed the only slave he personally owned in 1859.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Why, yes, the Civil War could have been avoided. I suppose you COULD ask the same question about every war in American history.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.