Nz asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

What Happens During a Navy Burial at Sea?

For people who’ve spent most of their life at sea, there is no higher honor than to make it their final resting place. Fortunately, you can request the US navy to have your or your loved ones remains to be buried at sea. The US Navy Mortuary Affairs allows both cremated and casketed remains for burial at sea. But they must follow specific preparation protocols. All expenses for the preparation of remains shall be on the account of the PADD. 

Related article here: https://bigblueseaservices.com/navy-burial-at-sea/

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I have never heard  of,  or seen a CASKET being thrown overboard. 

Usually, the body is wrapped in a shroud and weighted, (so it will sink right away and not float)  and placed on a special tilting platform. and draped in a flag. 

As the ceremony part concludes,  honors are rendered,  and the platform board is tilted up..........the wrapped body  slides out from UNDER the stationary flag.......and drops to the sea. 

The Flag is then presented to the widow or relatives at some later date. 

I have never in all my days,  heard of a casket being chucked overboard. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

What more do you need to know than the information contained in the article you have provided a link to?

A casket would presumably need to be heavy enough to sink to the bottom and robust enough not to break up.

• Mrsjvb
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

No casket. Ashes only in a biodegradable container

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

F*cked if i know. Tried performing one once. Half the grave diggers drowned, and the rest of us just left the b*stard

• John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The Sailor gets welcomed to Davy Jones Locker, rivers of rum and old prostitutes at the bottom of the sea. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you become fish food ...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.