Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can I replace this myself or call maintenance in my apartment complex?

So the trip lever overflow faceplate on the bathtub is rusted and won’t move up and down. Anyways my husband and I been using a drain stopper for when I want to tke a bath. Should I call maintenance to fix this or can i just buy the $5 kit from a Home Depot and fix this? We are living here for another two years so...

And its been like this since we moved in, i know we should of got it fixed when we moved in but we didn’t since we were only just taking showers then . :/  Plus we were more out at work than home (we had the same job then about 10 hour shifts a day 6 days a week) so no time to call :/

Get maintenance to fix it.  If something goes wrong, your $5 fix could turn into an expensive repair they can legally bill you for.

Call them, but also send then a formal request, by email if available, and ask for a response. If you don't get any response within seven days, follow it up with a written, mailed request. If that doesn't get a response, then you will have to play the 'certified letter' game with them. 

• ron h

I'd try to get the LL to fix it.  There's a potential problem in that if the drain pipe under the tub doesn't line up perfectly you'll have a b tch of a time getting things back together w/o leaking.  Slight misalignments are fairly common and easily forced into place before the drywall around the tub is installed. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+replacing+...

Looks pretty straightforward.  If you do replace it, it's unlikely the landlord would even realize it's newer than when you move in.  Just don't get the old one pulled out and then not be able to get the replacement in.

• hello

The choice about how to proceed should be made by the landlord.

If you want to fix it yourself because it's only $5 and you can do a proper job, go ahead.

Legally you need your landlord's permission.  Realistically, your landlord would likely gladly allow you to do so at your own expense (or even his) or wouldn't notice if you did so without asking permission.

You should be able to do this yourself. It's not difficult. Your Home Depot kit should work fine. 

I only take baths so have had to repair any number of these over the years.  They just get gunked up from dirt, it isn't rust.  Don't buy a kit from Home Depot.  If maintenance is dragging its heels, you can easily repair this yourself.  There are two screws on the face plate.  Remove them carefully, (make sure they do not drop down into the drain).  Then carefully take out the mechanism, clean off the gunk and spray it with WD-40.  It will be as good as new.

Drain stoppers provide a better seal.

Anyway, make a proper maintenance report.  You can offer to fix it as well.  Some drain levers need access to the back side of the tub and if there isn't one, you will have to cut one.  Maybe this is why it hasn't been fixed and the fact most people shower.

In the mean time,  apply penetrating oil to the moving parts you can get to and let sit for several hours.  Gently tap on the lever with a rubber mallet to see if it will budge.  

☑Call your apt complex maintenance department, to explain your situation.

☑If they do not turn out, that is when it would best for you as the tenant to start emailing the apt. complex management office at LEAST once a week.

☑So therefore when emailing if this ever were to escalate, you as the tenant have proof that you gave your landlord( the apt. complex) the appropriate amount of time to fix the problem at hand.