Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Husband recently got an offer for a transfer for his job and he would earb more money?

What do we do with our apartment? We recently signed on to stay for another 2 years back in March but did not expect this to happen. We didn’t even make a decision yet as we don’t know what to do.

Update:

Earn not earb 

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Look at your lease..  you will normally have to pay to break it, and may have to pay rent each month until they rent it to someone else.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

You have a couple choices:

(1) you can appeal to your landlord for a waiver of the 2-year lease, based on job transfer.  A GOOD landlord will let you out of the lease without having you pay the remaining months. A bad one will probably not. 

(2) You can SUBLET your apartment to finish the remainder of the lease term. You normally have to get permission, and they will have to apply like any tenant, but that's a do-able alternative to paying off a lease term.

(3) you can separate while your husband works in one place and you stay in the other--until the lease is up. That will mean two rents every month, though. And expensive commuting. 

I would definitely try the first two options. The third one will eat into your budget quickly. 

• L
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If his job is in another city or state - then you must show your landlord his transfer paperwork and you'll be fine.

• Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Read your lease to see what the penalty is for breaking it.

Consider subletting for the remainder of your contract.

Find out whether the job transfer comes with moving expenses.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Find out how much it will cost you to break the lease.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Both of you signed, so an agreement was made. I never read the agreement that both of you signed, so I don't know what kind of terms are on it, and neither does anyone else here.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What's your lease say?

• 1 month ago

Talk to your landlord to see if something can be worked out.  Most landlords will happily let you go if you can find a qualified replacement tenant so they don't suffer any financial loss.  And when you put your feet in your landlord's shoes, it makes perfect sense.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depending on the terms in your lease, it's potentially going to cost you some rent.

• 1 month ago

If you don't want to live there anymore, you break the lease.  Put in proper notice.  Pay the fees laid out in the lease or follow your state laws as to what you owe.  Only you know what your lease says and what state you're to do a search.

I have to say....2 year apartment lease?  I hope you got  a HUGE discount for that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.