Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If a barrista/cafe server at a cafe asked you if you had a “seniors card” after you ordered coffee & you were not a senior how do you feel?

Do you call them out?

Do you feel you look like a senior ?

People should not assume ages

Update:

You say “do I look that old?!” And they laugh awkwardly..

They are rude

Update 2:

Assuming a 48 year old or a 35 year old  or a 55 year old is a senior over agr 65 is rude..

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Assumptions are not based on evidence but ultimately, you decide how much emotional attention you want to give this matter given you cannot change what has been said.  If you really felt offended, then you speak up.  Equally, chose to put your focus elsewhere and enjoy your coffee.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

< Assuming a 48 year old or a 35 year old or a 55 year old is a senior over agr 65 is rude >

Suck it up Snowflake.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I had been frequenting a store for three decades and I even worked there part time for 9 years. We had a sign at the register that said "Ask for your Senior Discount: 10% off every Wednesday". The only thing management told me about the discount was we were not allowed to ask for ID or ask if someone was a senior.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that I could have been saving 10% of every sale for 5 years as the discount applied to those 55 years and older! Drats!

Note: I do not look my age. My sister  who is five years younger than I am  looks older than me, so I am told.

I think it is up to the seniors to present their discount card or state they are a senior. That way, all awkwardness is alleviated.

• 4 weeks ago

i'd ask them what is the starting age for senior discount begin and will my drivers license suffice. if i need one of theirs. well find another place that doesn't require it. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I wouldn't mind really,  I'd say 'no, but you can give me discount if you like!'.

Once while shopping at the butchers a few years ago now,  The lady assistant said 'That will be £.-.. with your over 60 discount please', and I said' I'm only 57', then she said, ' I've put it through the till now,' and she just took the discounted amount! 

• 4 weeks ago

Sometimes they say it 'automatically' because it's their job. They don't stop and LOOK at the person before asking. Other times they say it out of spite. Look at the person asking - their manner can usually tell you if they even care. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Anonymous4 weeks agoReport

So you're saying the employer is acknowledging the employee is too stupid to know the difference between a 20 year old and a 60+ year old wombat? Your argument is ridiculous.

• L
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

NO problem.  NOT all places offer Senior Cards.  If you intend on going there a lot and are a Senior - ASK FOR A CARD.

• Anonymous4 weeks agoReport

The stores don't give a seniors card. You apply with the government.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

they just made a mistake, just tell them youre not one

• wombatfreaks
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

what mistake did they make? Sounds like they were doing what they were paid to do, following your employers instructions is not a mistake. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"People should not assume ages"   Asking IF someone has a senior's card is NOT assuming someone's age.  It is simply allowing for the possibility that someone MIGHT be a senior.    By NOT asking, the server is assuming the person is not old enough.   

• JASON
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Oh no. I remember the first time a child called me a man, and that was a shock. I was probably 16. Where has all the time gone.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.