From 1 to 10 how painful is it going thru chemotherapy for 6 months?

My mom is going to begin soon and we are all worried about the pain she is gonna go through and how to take care of her.

• Edna

My son went through 6 months of chemo when he had colon cancer - one treatment every month - and the chemo wasn't painful at all. He usually felt sick at his stomach and very tired during the day after he had a treatment, but he had some prescribed medication that he began taking a couple of days before he had a chemo treatment, and that helped.

He wasn't in pain at all. He worked full time during those 6 months, except for the days he had a chemo treatment.

• LAN

Depends on the person and the type of cancer they have.   There are a wide range of possible reactions to different types of treatment.   Mine never cause me pain as much as made me tired and uncomfortable.   Why didn't you just ask her as her doctor would have gone over all the possible side effects.   No one here can give you a definite answer because we don't have the relevant information.

The only thing I felt were the needles. Perhaps your mother will get a port. Otherwise, I was fine. I had a long trip to the hospital, but I needed none of the side effect medication. Your mother may lose her hair. Mine regrew again quickly. And I have better fingernails for some reason,

I don't remember it as bad. I had surgery, chemo and radiation The only small pain was the needle.

• Amy

It won't be pleasant for her but having her family around supporting her will help so much!!  But try to not smother her with attention.  Get your family organized to keep the housework done so she doesn't feel the need to get up and try to do it herself.  Figure out a meal plan to.  Who's going to do the cooking?  Can you take turns?  Is there anyone who can bring in a meal once or twice a week?  Most friends or churches would be glad to help but you have to ask them.  Don't be afraid to ask for help. 

It depends a lot on the chemo drugs they use. Also, each person's experience can be different. I went through 8 rounds. The first four rounds had two different drugs. Rounds 5-8 had one drug that was different than the two drugs used in the first four rounds. The first four were more painful in terms of mouth sores. The second four were more painful in terms of muscle aches and pains.

My best suggestion is to ask these questions to her oncologist, and also ask if they have any booklets with advice. I got booklets, I think from my doctor or nurse navigator. One or two on chemo and one on radiation. The chemo one included different side effects and tips to reduce and/or manage them.

For mouth sores, there is a "mouth wash" prescription medicine that can help with that pain. It has a syrupy thick consistency, and you swallow it (not spit it out).

When the mouth sores were at their worst, it was severely painful, like a 9-10. It was made worse by talking and much worse by eating or drinking.

The muscle aches and pains were unpleasant, but not horrible. Maybe a 3.

Best wishes to your mom.

It depends upon the treatment, the person, the type of cancer, whether it gets better or not, and other factors. Every individual is not the same at all and we all have different experiences.  

do the best you can taking care of her. get advice from doctor and especially the nurses. Do online research as well

So sorry your Mom is ill.  xo